Author Topic: Ripping old used timbers  (Read 652 times)

Offline Model 12

Ripping old used timbers
« on: December 01, 2022, 04:59:50 PM »
These creosoted timbers came from some high voltage towers. That white insulator is more than 100 years old and similar ones must have fit in those shallow holes.
Western Red Cedar, 4-1/2" thick, 8" and a bit deep, and 4 Meters long. And you can see they're Freeheart; cut without the center pith. No embedded hardware.
The fella that gets lumber and such for me, steered me to em. I'm lucky to have him instead of a Mr. Haney.
I started ripping a 1 X 4-1/2 Inch piece off two of those timbers, so I could get some 7" boards. Four from each timber, needing two of em side by side to keep that big saw steady.
Then I switched to ripping 8" boards, three from each.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline Yadda

Re: Ripping old used timbers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 05:30:49 PM »
Nice!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 03:30:46 AM »
interesting,dont they smell...i know the old telephone phones stink?

Offline Model 12

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:57:01 PM »
Hi there International3414.
Them pilings too, especially in the hot sun.
Creosote don't seem to soak in all that far. Grandpa told me how they set the railroad ties in a big tank to soak in the creosote for a spell. I get it by the gallon can and when I use it, the creosote sort of just stays on the surface taking near  forever to dry. And then I do it again. Stain isn't nearly that way, but as you might know it does need a few coats. Although there was strong evidence creosote was repeated over the years, it was old none the less. Like old railroad ties.
In the pictures it shows I'd run over the surface with a belt sander before ripping.
All that aside, that wood smelled damn good when I was ripping. It often does when the saw throws it up in the air. That's a good way to figure out what kind of wood it is.
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short