Author Topic: Tools All The Way Down The Line  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Model 12

Tools All The Way Down The Line
« on: July 28, 2022, 01:29:42 AM »
My apologies to Sturgill Simpson. I just love that song of his; "Turtles All The way Down (the line)".  The "Cuttin' Grass" version of course.
I've been busy fixing up these old drills and there's a seriously fair amount of em. I woke up this morning still dreaming, I was seeing em all lined up and that's when I made the connection with the song.
I've listened to it many times, carefully trying to catch on to what he means and all I keep picturing is float fishing a river and seeing all them cooters scurrying off logs.
This is the Hitachi 1/2" BU-PN, manufactured in 1958. Looks identical to the 5/8" PU-PM, just slightly smaller. I do favor this knurled chuck over the fluted ones. Looks like lithium grease seeped out behind the chuck when I test ran her.
The knurled pipe handle for this one had lost the wood dowel. So I carved one for it out of some real hard wood. One thing I do for carving is when I'm real close to the end, I use a flap disc with the Angle Grinder.
An old man's work is a boy's play.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:40:26 PM by Model 12 »
No matter how much you cut off, it's still too short

Offline Model 12

Re: Tools All The Way Down The Line
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 03:01:33 PM »
This one was offered as junk for 1 cent,  the reason being  that "it doesn't run". I looked at it and sarcastically said, "I wonder why?"
It runs fine now. Sounds good. Looks pretty clean inside.

Offline Model 12

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »
Awhile back this fella asked this persistently relevant question about where to find tool parts. Lou answered back with "eReplacemntParts", which is my first choice as well. But I added something to the effect that with older tools, you won't find parts there. Yep, unless another current or at least recent enough tool, uses the same part, it ain't there.
But I have to back away from what I went on to say. All too often these after market purveyors; whether they offer up preserved OEM parts or specially made generic versions, can make you feel like you're the victim in a hostage situation.
To be fair, there are expenses involved that actually make the price quite reasonable. For one thing, in order to resurrect such a part as new, there's all sorts of costs and a minimum order in the thousands.
Be that as it may, it's still kind of unaffordable. Especially for someone who just simply wants to keep his tool running, so he can still use the darn thing.
I'm finding some success with getting hold of tools in marginal condition for harvesting needed parts from them. My late father in law gave me his 1975 3-1/4" planer. Some years back, I picked up one like it that was missing the cord and I swapped some parts with it.

First picture shows these parts I got from from these Hitachi 13mm (1/2") drills. They're a few different generations younger from the ones I'm restoring. But some of the parts remained the same.
I'm way ahead already with the chucks and keys alone. The Pipe Handles and D-Handles, I'll certainly use. Even those carbon brushes with a little adjustment.
Next picture; I got another 1/2" Drill I finished. Made in 1956. It had been missing the D-handle.

Then just a few days ago, before I could post this (rest of the pictures), I discovered the pads were bad on my big Makita Belt Sander. A real work horse and I'd venture to say a fair number of you own one.
I emailed my old hardware friend, sending pictures of the nameplate and pads in question. He fired back real soon that these parts were no longer available.
The inner pad has some wear but it's still usable. I dug out a scrap of Aluminized Steel sheet metal. I cut it to size and attached it. I had concerns it might cut the belt or at least shorten its life span, but I used it all day yesterday and everything went fine.

This issue with unavailability of parts is getting worse instead of better.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 05:15:46 PM by Model 12 »

Offline Model 12

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 07:39:47 PM »
That Alumanized Steel sheet kept the Belt Sander going, but after serious use the Aluminum wore off. That Mild Steel will rust, so I replaced it with the SS. Also figured I'd do better than that inner pad, which  I was surprised was cork when I took it off.
I dug out this scrap Copper sheet, big enough to cut what I needed. After hammering it out and sanding, bonded cork to it.

Offline Omeomai

• Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »
Yeah, and a young man's play is an old man's reminiscence!