Author Topic: Klincher Tong-Grip by Klincher Tool Co  (Read 736 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Klincher Tong-Grip by Klincher Tool Co
« on: November 24, 2021, 05:17:27 PM »
I recently bought at auction what was described to me as "old oil filter wrench".  I thought to myself - right.  IT HAD A LOT OF RUST preventing me from making out much of anything it said.  I let it rest in some evPoruat for a bit in an effort to see what it had to say.  "Klincher Tong Grip" I was finally able to make out.  Pictures of the tool must await my ability to walk.  In the meantime, I thought I would share what I have found from reading.  I still have not found any photo of the tool itself online.  Those who can please educate me what this thing was for, please.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Klincher Tong-Grip by Klincher Tool Co
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 05:47:53 PM »
Probably have a pic of it somewhere, I think.   Clincher rims had an outer ring that had to be removed with a  jack like tool.   Or a pair of screwdrivers and luck.  This Klincher tool was very much like a 21 inch Channelocks.   Used to squeeze the tire back away from the split ring for removal and install of the ring.   Also used to pull the tire off the rim for tube repair.  All down and dirty by the side of the road type repair.   Pretty much phased out by 1935.  Except  for guys like me that were driving obsolete vehicles, well past their prime.    Sorta like me,  past the prime years, sort of.    Today, was actively engaged in replacing the entire rear axle on my '96 Chevy 1500.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:41:30 PM »
The best I could do for now.  Peeling a banana feels the equivalent to taking on Putin.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 08:47:37 AM »
Interesting, I can think of a place I would rather not be Klinched by a tool such as that!!