Author Topic: Leather working tool?????  (Read 1683 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Leather working tool?????
« on: October 13, 2021, 03:26:25 PM »
This tool was in a box lot and I'm not sure what it does.  I figure it should have a wood handle.  Looks like you place it on something and pound on the end with a hammer to mark it.

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Leather working tool?????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 03:53:50 PM »
I think you are right the other tool that is similar is for  horse dentist, file teeth down. The file teeth are  like a lead / vixen file. Had one years ago thought it was for lead work.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 06:00:22 PM »
Or, if not a horse dentist, a specialized riffler for some application.

Rifflers, which come in both file (this picture) and rasp forms:

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Gunsmiths's or plane maker's float?
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 11:52:14 AM »
The leather working related tool you are thinking of is called a shoe peg float.  There are a few different kinds of teeth.  Most of the shoe peg floats or rasp have a higher angle on the shank.  They all had wooden handles like a file.  They were used to file off the wooden shoe pegs that on the inside of the boot or shoe that were used instead of nails on mariner's or other waterproof footwear.  After filing them down, the insole would be put in.  There is a very good write up in Salaman's Dictionary of Leather-Working Tools book.

Because of the angle, I will go with a horse tooth file or rasp.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
Also, the horse floats tend to be finer and the shoe peg rasp tend to be coarser, based on the ones that I have had.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
Well, it now has a fine handle from my handle hoard.  I now agree it is not a leather tool. An update on the working end follows.  In looking closely I found the ( i will call it a pad or working end) is divided into two sections, about evenly.  The front section has the points leaning forward to cut going forward and the rear portion has the points pointing back to cut when pulling back.  Does this change any ideas??

Offline camarint

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 06:44:17 AM »
Based on your description, it seems like the tool you discovered is a leather stamping tool. It's used to make marks or impressions on leather by placing it on the surface and tapping it with a hammer. The wooden handle you mentioned is indeed used to hold the tool while you apply pressure with the hammer.
If you're still curious about leather working and want to explore more about leather embossing, I recommend checking out this informative blog post on https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/leather-guide-for-beginners. It's a valuable resource that can provide you with insights into the art of working with leather.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 08:49:39 AM by camarint »