Author Topic: new to me  (Read 1503 times)

Offline p_toad

new to me
« on: September 08, 2021, 07:12:47 PM »
The guy i generally work with recycling stuff at our restore brought me this the other day as someone had decided it wasn't getting sold and put it in our scrap bin.   i finally got around to hitting it with the brass wheel and cleaned it up a bit (and no, rust is NOT patina).

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: new to me
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:37:38 PM »
Nice!  Fulton wasn't the first line of tools, but often, in those days, "second line" quality was as good as a lot of today's "first line."

If you do much work with a drawknife in the field, those folding handles can be quite handy.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 05:46:37 AM »
Nice rescue!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline geneg

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:52:22 AM »
Is the patent number too far gone to read?  I assume that it would be for the folding handles, but would be interesting to find out.  No matter, its still a great find.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:52:56 PM »
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 09:24:44 PM »
I have to wonder:  What kind of people stop by the Resale for a considerable time and do not buy this draw knife?
And why would any person in their right mind throw it in the skip?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 10:06:22 PM »
My local ReStore has taken to featuring hand planes as decorative items; apparently not enough people were buying them when they were on the tool aisle.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 03:58:04 PM »
I have to wonder:  What kind of people stop by the Resale for a considerable time and do not buy this draw knife?
And why would any person in their right mind throw it in the skip?

many of the people working the store are volunteers and don't necessarily know spit about anything.
I'm not the boss (ask my wife).
sometimes things get put out (like the 8-10 braces that have been on the shelves recently), and other things don't.   again, not in charge of it.
receiving gets stuff and is supposed to put it in bins to go to the different departments, but sometimes (apparently) decisions get made.   I've brought home two floor lamps recently that had
been out on the floor (they actually still had price stickers on them) which someone decided weren't selling so....out they go.   
honestly, i used to see all that stuff come in as our area was receiving in the old store, but in the new building it's a separate area and i (or the other guy) don't always see what comes in before it hits one of two dumpsters or our recycle bin....  which is where he found this tool.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 10:31:00 PM »
It is hard to believe that my most requested and most easily sold tool (that has been consistent over 30 years of selling) was thrown in a scrap bin somewhere.  Do you live on the moon?