Author Topic: Blackhawk push down ratchet  (Read 1562 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Blackhawk push down ratchet
« on: March 12, 2021, 03:42:11 PM »
In the olden days these were called push down ratchets, but now we call them ratchet adapters.  Blackhawk in the early 1920's made a deal with Snap-on and made these using the Snap-on patent.  They are not common as they were never included with any blackhawk socket set.  Picked this one up in a little antique shop for $2.50.  Unlike modern ratchet adapters this one is cannot be reversed as the modern ones  To use it you have to push down in it to tighten or loosen the nut and turn it and then let up on it (there is a spring inside) turn it back and push down again. Depending on which way you want to go, it thus will go in either direction.

Offline Northwoods

Re: Blackhawk push down ratchet
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:26:01 PM »
Walden Worcester (No 1113) did the same thing.  I have the version with a handle attached (No 1133).  See figures 93 and 94,

Snap-on No. 6, as well--they made four versions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=taiwan+covid+19+cases&oq=taiwan+covid&aqs=edge.3.0i433l2j0i131i433j0i457j0i131i433j0l2.6329j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 05:01:23 PM »
eh, your link to me to covid search....   got another one??

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:01:14 PM »
Sorry about that.  Again, see Figures 93 and 94.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/walden-worcester-p2.html#interchangeable
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 04:31:31 PM »

BTW, here is a different one from GB that I ran across.  Looks like you operate it with both hands.  Pull the plunger to disengage, etc.

Shipping might be a little high, though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-hand-operated-ratchet-socket-wrench-Possibly-blacksmith-made-9/203304807117?hash=item2f55e92acd:g:p44AAOSwJstgTPQV
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 07:34:33 AM »
Northwoods----I have several of the Walden ones, as I collect Walden.  I also have the one shown in Fig. 94 which is in reality a push down ratchet.  There is also a socket set with the push down ratchet.  I have never seen the one by Indestro.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 11:41:21 AM »
Sure is a simple enough design, but I bet when ratchets with levers to change direction became more freely available, mechanics owning these spent their pennies pretty fast.

I've got two ratchets without reversing levers, both 1/2" drive.  One is a BOG Tool company one with a square drive on each side - just pick the one that goes the direction you want.  As best I can tell, that one uses a roller-and-ramp "ratchet," rather than gears, like the arrangement on the pull rope for a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower motor; or the free wheel on many bicycles.  Actually a brilliant design, because it's effectively an extremely fine tooth ratchet.  That one came from my father's father, and is enjoying an honorable retirement.

The other is a Craftsman with a square drive insert that you shove through in either direction, with the socket going on the part sticking out.  I'm holding on to that one, because the ratchet head is very thin, and who knows when I'll need to get into a tight spot with it?  That's my excuse, anyhow.

Interesting to see the ferment on this subject in the early 20th century, before one design became dominant.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 05:08:48 PM »
I have that double-sided Bog ratchet as well.  I took it apart just out of curiosity and successfully got it back together.  It has four of the tiniest coil springs.
It is a marvel.
I took a look at it a minute ago and found another Bog rat.  It is a No. 203 in 3/8".  Only 5 7/8" long.  It is much like the No. 202A which is a 1/2" tool.
The No. 203 is an elegant and nicely-made tool.  See them on AA here:

http://alloy-artifacts.org/bog-mfg-chicago.html#sq-drive 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
I have that double-sided Bog ratchet as well.  I took it apart just out of curiosity and successfully got it back together.
And is it, as I thought, a roller-and-ramp design, or something more exotic?

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 01:45:58 PM »

Sorry--I am not evolved enough to answer your question.
Ask an easier one, such as the number of ends on a piece of string--a short piece of string.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.