Author Topic: Bench stops  (Read 1500 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Bench stops
« on: November 14, 2020, 11:05:21 PM »
A friend gifted me these bench stops.  Saw some in his grandpas tool chest, said he had more.  So we went digging in the barn,  found them 3 boxes down.  All carefully wrapped in 1940s newspaper,  moisture and mouse residue holding newspaper.    Had then soaking in vinegar for 2 weeks.  The screw in the wedge may not survive,  but overall they are looking better. Should be ready for when I build a woodworking [only] bench.  Cant make out the name yet.  Who has one?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Mike H

Re: Bench stops
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:43:36 AM »
Maybe it is because the two to the left are overlapping each other; but I'm having trouble
visualizing exactly how these would mount and work. Flat plate with four corner holes
fastens to underside of bench? The rectangular piece on left side of the one in front looks
like the stop in a woodworker's vise but then I'm really not seeing how it installs.
Haven't finished a mug of coffee yet, must still be stupid. Post a picture of one on your bench when you build. In any case, nice find.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »
These fit into a recess in the bench top.  To use, loosen the recessed screw seen in the top,  this relaxes the square block wedge.  The inner part slides up an inch, then is relocked by tightening the screw.  More pics when more rust comes off
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
Nice find, thanks for sharing the photos!!!
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 02:02:44 PM »
I have one that needs less cleanup than those, but still more than I've found time to do.

But, after installing this bench end stop a couple of years ago, I'm not sure I'm motivated to do it anyway.  Down:

Up:

It works very, very well, and won't damage the plane cutting iron if I hit it.