Author Topic: Molding planed  (Read 1109 times)

Offline GaryD

Molding planed
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:00:19 AM »
Picked up a box of old tools about a year ago at a Iowa farm auction.  Thought these 2 old planes we're interesting.  I know very little about this type of tool.  The smaller one is marked H. Chapin.  The older looking one has WVE stamped on the end.  It may be owners initials, but looks very professional for that.  Cleaned them up with soap and water before adding to my collection.  Any info would be appreciated (type of plane, use, age, etc).  Thanks.

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Molding planed
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
Top one is a basic rabbet plane.

I can't recall the name of those plow/plough planes with the fixed fence, but it would have been a specialty item for one purpose, such as planing the grooves for drawer bottoms in the front and side pieces of the drawer - or something similar.

And from your post title, "Molding planed," I expected photos of some cool molding profile that you had planed yourself by hand, rather than the tools with which you might do it.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
Re: Molding planed
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 09:48:02 PM »
The top one was made between 1828 and 1897.  H. Chapin/Union Factory was a plane manufacturer at Pine Meadows near New Hartford, CT (Elliott, 2003).

The bottom one is European based on the style.  It is probably an earlier one because of the longer length.  It is a groove plane as mentioned above.