Author Topic: Box of 47 Whitworth and B.S. wrenches  (Read 944 times)

Offline amecks

Box of 47 Whitworth and B.S. wrenches
« on: May 24, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
I recently purchased (that is to be read "overpaid") a whole bag full of 47, mostly old, Whitworth wrenches.  I plan to sell most of them, keeping only 2 or 3, and hope I can make my investment back plus a little extra.  But as I catalog these for sale and photograph them , I'll post them here and see if I can learn more about them from you, the forum members.  Please comment on the makers, and the unusual markings and anything else you may notice or have knowledge.
This will be done in several installments - between 4 to 6 posts.
Let's start with this little wrench: H.F. & Co. Ltd Chrome vanadium.  Notice the date and the Broad Arrow Mark which indicates it was once (or still is and I'm in trouble) property of the United Kingdom government. 

and here's a Snail Brand wrench.  Most Snails I've seen are heavy clubs, not useful in the modern way.  Here the date is forged into the wrench and there is a Broad Arrow stamped on the left in the second photo.

This "TW" is apparently a T Williams wrench but not one of my favorite "Superslim" style - this on is bulkier and roughly forged in the heads.  Note the Broad Arrow Mark is forged into the reverse side.

Next, the Britool is a more modern appearing wrench although the heads are slim, they are still quite as wide as any here, so, it may still be old.  Beautifully chromed.

We''ll look at the Dreadnaughts - Made in Canada by Gray and in the next installment we'll do the actual Gray Canada wrenches.  The Dreadnaughts are a set of 4, shown here, and a lesser condition set of 3.  Dreadnaught is an economy set of wrenches by Gray.  When you see the actual Grays you'll see what I mean.  These are plated but I can't be sure with what metal.  It's not bright chrome but it is too shiny to be cadmium.  These have no military markings.

Remember - comments, critiques and suggestions on reselling welcome.  Regards,  Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Box of 47 Whitworth and B.S. wrenches
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 07:57:33 PM »
Hello, Al. Good score on the wrenches, and good luck with selling them!! I'm still a newbie to USA Fractional wrenches, so I'm not much help with the Whitworth wrenches. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline humber2

Re: Box of 47 Whitworth and B.S. wrenches
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:34:26 AM »
HF wrench could be from Harvey Frost.

Google with Graces Guide.