Author Topic: Just because, and I'm not sorry about it.  (Read 3011 times)

Offline moparthug

Just because, and I'm not sorry about it.
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »
Stopped by an estate sale this morning, mostly overpriced house goods, but out in the garage I noticed a couple of kids (kids being early 20's perhaps) looking through an old tool box. I wander over and hear them talking about tossing everything inside and repainting the tool box for some dumb reason. They get up and wander off to find out how much the box is. I grab it and walk around to the front of the house where I noticed someone from the estate company having a cig break. How much, I ask? Oh, Idunno… $20 work for you? So I throw two $10's at him and (slowly) lug this big beast out to my van. I have yet to dig through it, I'll do that this weekend and let you know if anything interesting shows up. :grin:
Rogue River, OR.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: Just because, and I'm not sorry about it.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »
Nice purchase, It shows promise, I'm sure you'll find some cool stuff in there.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:57:57 AM »
Good save on a hip roof box.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »
Nice find, I would have bought it!!! Are those S-K Sockets I am seeing? Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »
I see some wheat with the chaff.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 04:33:01 PM »
Looks like a Kennedy box to me. i have two Kennedy boxes that look just like that including the paint colors.

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:35:22 PM by EVILDR235 »

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 05:45:28 PM »
moparthug I assume you are a Chrysler product fan ? About 25 years ago I worked in a wrecking yard in Portland Oregon. One day we got a car for junk and in the trunk was a wooden box that had a Railway Express label on it and was marked with a return address from the Chrysler Corp. It also had the Chrysler name and address stenciled in ink on the box. In the box was a used / cracked cylinder head from a 331 Chrysler hemi engine. One of our salesman was a big Chrysler fan and he grabbed it and took it home.

EvilDr235

Offline p_toad

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »
"They get up and wander off "

BTDT   :embarrassed:

Offline Yadda

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 07:56:40 PM »
I'm usually the guy that walks up just after you bought the toolbox.....
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline moparthug

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 08:29:04 PM »
moparthug I assume you are a Chrysler product fan ? About 25 years ago I worked in a wrecking yard in Portland Oregon. One day we got a car for junk and in the trunk was a wooden box that had a Railway Express label on it and was marked with a return address from the Chrysler Corp. It also had the Chrysler name and address stenciled in ink on the box. In the box was a used / cracked cylinder head from a 331 Chrysler hemi engine. One of our salesman was a big Chrysler fan and he grabbed it and took it home.

EvilDr235

I was in a Chrysler Car Club in Los Angeles a decade ago, mostly '66 to '72 muscle cars, and I picked up the nick-name as I was always working security at our shows and events. When you have 10 winged Plymouth Superbirds lined up at a show you find the biggest and scariest looking guy to make sure no one gets too close. All my club jackets say Moparthug. I was driving a 1970 Coronet at the time. My grandfather was a Chrysler mechanic just after WW2, my dad drag raced a blown 331 Hemi in a Ford t-bucked at all the SoCal tracks in the late 50's, Lyons and Irwindale and such. My first car at 15 years old was a '65 Dodge Dart GT, and my current daily driver is a '66 big block Fury. Sooooo….. yeah, it's all I know.  :grin:
Rogue River, OR.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 09:21:24 PM »
My best male friend has had a wrecking yard he opened in 1953 and still runs it today. In 1956 he parked his 1923 Ford model TT flatbed and bought a 1940 Dodge 1 ton flat bed truck and in 1959 he bought a 1940 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. In 1969 he bought a 1947 Dodge 5 ton that was once a garbage truck and now has a 36 foot bed on it to haul car bodies. The 1940 3/4 ton now has 1 ton running gear and has been converted to a tow truck and is use daily. The 5 ton is used once a week and the 1 ton is used when needed. All are still flathead engines with 6 volt systems. He has other 1939 to 1947 trucks and also a few Plymouth trucks. No Fargo's yet tho. Some are used and some are parts trucks. He also has 2 1940 Dodge Fire trucks on stand by just in case. The tow truck has a 264 cubic inch Chrysler Spitfire engine. The 1 ton has a 230 cubic inch Dodge engine and the 5 ton has a dual carb mid 1950's 413 dual carb flathead six,  yes a 413 cubic inch flathead six that replaced the 370 cubic inch flathead. The 5 ton also has a 5 speed trans, a 3 speed Brownie trans behind that and a 2 speed rear end. He still has his Ford model TT truck and others. He has the best of both worlds. A hobby and a business. He does nothing but old cars, trucks and all kinds of old machines. Go online and check out (Brian's Salvage and Junk) in American Canyon Calif.

EvilDr235

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »
My best male friend has had a wrecking yard he opened in 1953 and still runs it today. In 1956 he parked his 1923 Ford model TT flatbed and bought a 1940 Dodge 1 ton flat bed truck and in 1959 he bought a 1940 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. In 1969 he bought a 1947 Dodge 5 ton that was once a garbage truck and now has a 36 foot bed on it to haul car bodies. The 1940 3/4 ton now has 1 ton running gear and has been converted to a tow truck and is use daily. The 5 ton is used once a week and the 1 ton is used when needed. All are still flathead engines with 6 volt systems. He has other 1939 to 1947 trucks and also a few Plymouth trucks. No Fargo's yet tho. Some are used and some are parts trucks. He also has 2 1940 Dodge Fire trucks on stand by just in case. The tow truck has a 264 cubic inch Chrysler Spitfire engine. The 1 ton has a 230 cubic inch Dodge engine and the 5 ton has a dual carb mid 1950's 413 dual carb flathead six,  yes a 413 cubic inch flathead six that replaced the 370 cubic inch flathead. The 5 ton also has a 5 speed trans, a 3 speed Brownie trans behind that and a 2 speed rear end. He still has his Ford model TT truck and others. He has the best of both worlds. A hobby and a business. He does nothing but old cars, trucks and all kinds of old machines. Go online and check out (Brian's Salvage and Junk) in American Canyon Calif.

EvilDr235

I'm guessing your buddy's 413 is not the same 413 as in this Beach Boys tune!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rEjX54IFjg

The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
Nope, not the same. A very large 6 cylinder flathead with factory dual 1 barrel Carter carbs. On the drivers side of the engine block is cast in words that say (CHROME  MOLYBDENUM  STEEL) His 5 ton weighs 13,000 pounds empty. My friend has at least 4 more if these engines and many spare parts that came with the truck when he bought it. Gaskets can be hard to find. He also has several military versions of these engines with 24 volt electrical systems, water proof ignition system, dual carbs also and hydromatic transmissions.

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:08:36 PM by EVILDR235 »

Offline moparthug

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 02:09:19 PM »
OK, some of the treasures are starting to see the light of day in a long time. First is a clean Craftsman monkey wrench, a Mayhew Peerless screwdriver, a pair of Stanley #20 screwdrivers, a Greenfield Tap & Die (GTD) 14" pipe wrench, and a cute little Wright Field Plomb 3/8 ign wrench. There will be more discoveries, stay tuned!
Rogue River, OR.

Offline moparthug

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »
Vlchek wrench, Hisndale wrench, and a JMC dynamite cap crimper.
Rogue River, OR.