Author Topic: 2 Speed Eggbeater Drill  (Read 2832 times)

Offline ray

2 Speed Eggbeater Drill
« on: November 17, 2011, 07:06:43 AM »
I " Re- found " this 2 Speed Eggbeater Drill in my Stuff " JUNQUE " it is a  Goodell Pratt 2 Speed Eggbeater Drill, really a 2 torque drill one ratio is about 1:1.4 the other ratio is about 1:3.9.

It is marked
               Goodell Pratt  Company
                    TOOLSIMTHS
                Greenfield Mass
               Pat. Mar 31 1896

Ray

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: 2 Speed Eggbeater Drill
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:38:41 AM »
That's a good one to use!
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline ray

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »
P.S.
It is missing the springs for the chuck jaws, I went to 2 hardware stores. The spring assortments
#1 spring size is a tad too large,to fit in the jaw holes. I bought a box of assorted springs, the smallest size if in the holes but are too short.

Ray

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:31:16 AM »
Find some discarded bearing seals, there are fine springs behind the seal lips.  I have stretched some out and used them for chuck springs. 

Offline ray

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
I cheated !!
While looking for something else, I found another Goodell Pratt chuck in a old cigar box. So I swapped parts. So I now have 3 complete eggbeater drills, that are in working condition.
I plan to use all 3 of them on a project, after thanksgiving. I need to set 26 -  #4  flathead screws
in piano hinges. 1 drill for a pilot drill, another for clearance the drill, an I don't know what I'll use the other one for right now but I'm sure something will come up.
But I still have a chuck needing springs.

Ray

Offline pacmot

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:15:35 AM »
FYI,

This is a Model No.5 or No.5-1/2. Those two models differed only in the main handles. The No.5 has a hollow storage handle with a round cap. The No.5-1/2 has a solid handle with a large "mushroom" or "doorknob" shaped pad on the end, making it easier for the user to push on the drill with their chest.

Many Goodell Pratt tools are not marked with the model numbers. This one looks to early to have a number but if it did, it would have been on the ferrule of the main handle. The handle and ferrule on this tool look user-made.

I think this one was made in the 1920s. After about 1915 or so, the spindle thrust is taken by a ball bearing assembly at the front of the spindle bore. In the earlier version, the thrust bearing was at the back of the spindle. There are several features that date it before the Millers Falls/Goodell Pratt merger in 1931. It has the older style tapered crank arm and the more slender, tapered crank knob. The spindle thrust bearing has 3 rings not 2. The later thrust bearing have only the 2 steel races, and omit the brass ball cage.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
Hey pacmot, welcome to Tool Talk!
Sounds like you have some knowledge to contribute- find the Introduction Forum and tell us a bit about yourself and your tool interests.

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
Hey we got a ringer here!
 Welcome aboard pacmot!
   Its pretty clear you have looked at GP some.
Really glad too, as GP made many great tools and not as much is commonly known about them.
 yours Scott