Author Topic: Sears/Craftsman SAE Tap and Die Set  (Read 8839 times)

Offline Yadda

Re: Sears/Craftsman SAE Tap and Die Set
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
Neat!  Something to add to my list of items to look for.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2022, 04:41:22 AM »
Hey Todd,

Way to go!!  I can only imagine what that Whitworth set must have cost you.  It’s only the second set I’ve ever seen.  How did you track it down?  What’s the back story?

Jim C.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:43:54 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Todd F.

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2022, 02:55:53 PM »
Hey Jim
There's not much to it. It dropped on eBay as a "buy it now" for $650. Pretty sure it would have gone for over $1000 if it was an auction so I'm trying to convince myself that it was a good deal.

Todd F

PS I think my Metric set from that time period is as hard to find as the Whitworth.
remember - there's a fine line between collection and obsession

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2022, 07:22:30 PM »
Hey Todd,

Well, congratulations again!!  I know $650 is a lot of money, but I really think that’s the value of that set in that kind of condition.  I also think you’re right about its potential if it had gone down to bidding……$1,000+ probably wasn’t out of the question.  I think you did good.  You might never see that set again, and I totally agree with you regarding the metric set. It’s equally as difficult to find.  I’m still looking for that one.  I saw one a long while back but it was missing a few parts and the case was trashed.  I passed on it thinking I’d find another one.  Well, the only other one I’ve seen is your set. So, when you see it, buy it!!  You hit a home run my friend!! 

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member