Author Topic: eggbeater style hand drill  (Read 1614 times)

Offline aaronhill

eggbeater style hand drill
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
So my grandfather gifted me this hand drill which he inherited from either his dad or granddad. It's very similar to several of the ones I've been able to find doing online searches, but I haven't seen it's twin yet, leading me to wonder if it either had a part/parts swapped out, or it was made as a knockoff? I cleaned the paint off most of it, leaving some gold paint on one side of the main gear, and black on the body. The paint is not original, I stripped all the paint off a year or so ago to look for identifying marks, then painted it. There were no marks. The chuck springs don't match so it doesn't open/close well, but that's okay I really don't plan on using it for more than decoration.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:38:56 PM by aaronhill »

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: eggbeater style hand drill
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »
I don’t recognize the shape of the frame or the drive gear. Millers Falls and Goodell-Pratt were the most common of that style. Might be German.

I put a link below to the best MF, GP information.

http://oldtoolheaven.com/index.html

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »
Hello, Aaron. You are pretty brave to have that drill in so many pieces, I would have either lost a couple of those pieces, or completely forgotten how to put all of that back together. Hmmm, maybe that's why you took the picture in the first place? Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline turnnut

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 07:53:30 PM »
 good project, thanks for sharing. Frank

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »
Usually on eggbeaters, the name is on the crank handle.   Once or twice there has been a name etched around the barrel of the chuck.  Not looking familiar to me either. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline aaronhill

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! Yes, photos definitely help when putting things back together. Could be German eh? Cool, I'll keep researching!