Author Topic: Aircraft specific tools  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Aircraft specific tools
« on: September 27, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
Nice to see a new forum section. I must admit I am clueless in aircraft tools. Hopefully someone can fill me in.

What makes a aircraft wrench different from automotive?
Are there fasteners specific to early aircraft?
Do early aircraft have multiple use wrenches like a farm implement wrench?
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Cutman

Re: Aircraft specific tools
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
 Hi Nolan,

Lots of the other guys will speak to this. In terms of the radial engine so I work on, there aren't a ton of specialized tools but when you need one there's absolutely no substitute. The wrenches to take off the cylinders from the center section are strangely shaped even though they are 9/16 end.

Offline t115145

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
Every aircraft from the Wright Flyer to the B-787 has specific fasteners.  Generally they were SAE spec.  The standard of manufacture is better than auto hardware.  National Aeronautical Standard (NAS), and Air Force (That's the way I learned it, some guys use Army) Navy (AN) are what's been accepted since before WW2.  The English used Whitworth on several aircraft. I work on a French built aircraft that is 100% metric. 

I have never seen a multi tool, although during the Barn Storming era, I think pilots and mechanics used whatever they could find.  The odd ball wrenches I have, were fabricated out of used tools I found at the flea markets.  The rest are off the Snap-On truck. You need quality tools because of the tight areas you have to work in.  I did find a set of "Tuffy" screw drivers made in the 1930's that I like a lot. And I've been collecting all the Plomb "WF" stuff I can get. 

Offline strik9

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:15:43 PM »
The guys in the areas where wartime production of planes and such used to be big find them.   I was sent a torque limiting ratchet used at NAA in the piston powered era.   It's cool but really useless in my world.

I do not make it a point to collect plane stuff but don't refuse them.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:55:14 PM »
These DBE's by Utica were originally marketed as aerospace wrenches but have since become more known by the high-performance label that Snap-On uses.  They conform to AS954, as I recall a standard for aircraft fastener specs.
I like em because they're nice a long, 0 offset so thin, and the Loc-Rite broaching really grips the fasteners.
Ratchet Guru

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
I made a BIG mistake a few years ago. We were out going to garage sales and we spotted a estate sale sign. I bought a few items and was out of money when I spotted a Plomb aircraft tool catalog. They wanted $10.00 for it. It had about 15 or 20 pages to it. I didn't check the date on it. I asked the lady if she would hold it til I could get some more money and she told me she could not hold it very rudely. I did not bother to go back.

EvilDr235

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »
I found these pliers and picked them up because they looked old but it appears that they are postwar. There wasn’t much to be found about them on the internet.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »
Here is a Plomb Pratt & Whitney aircraft socket.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 05:44:13 AM »
Here is a Schrader tire pressure gauge I received yesterday that is listed in the 1945 Navy NAF catalog.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline t115145

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 08:20:34 PM »
Jeep42, the pliers are for "Cleco's", Cleco's  are a temporary spring loaded pin for holding sheet metal together while riveting.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
Thanks. I think that I have a pair marked Cleco as well. I’ll have to take a look.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR