Author Topic: Miniature Camelback Drill press ~18" tall!  (Read 5857 times)

Offline Twilight Fenrir

Miniature Camelback Drill press ~18" tall!
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
Hello there, I've got a real jewel for you here!

My friend in Pennsylvania was at an antique shop, and spotted this tiny Langelier No. 1 drill press sitting in a back room... He sent me this picture, and I immediately asked him to grab it, and ship it to me. I don't have it in my hands yet, but couldn't wait to share it... I'm also trying out a new photo hosting site since Photobucket exploded...

Based on the features it has, like the adjustable quill pathway, the prolific oil wells, and the adjustable stop, I believe this is a pretty high-end machine, and not just a toy replica. Perhaps for watchmaking or some such... But information is very scarce.

I've been doing some research on it, and know that it's from the very late 1800s to early 1900s. I found a few other examples, most notably:

When mine was the only example, I assumed the drive belt went around the spindle, and turned down at the back pulleys to be treadle operated... But the above one shows the pulleys mounted directly to the frame, and in such a location that the belt MUST go upwards, not down. Judging by the oil well visible in that location on mine, I assume this was the original way it was meant to be... But it's awfully small to he line-shaft driven, isn't it? Can any of the great information sleuths find an example of how this was originally powered?

Either way, this baby is going to get a complete break down, and meticulous restoration. This is too much of a gem to warrant anything less :P

Offline turnnut

Re: Miniature Camelback Drill press ~18" tall!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
  Glad that you jumped on that one.

did you google ?  vintage Langelier number 1 drill press ?

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
  Glad that you jumped on that one.

did you google ?  vintage Langelier number 1 drill press ?
Oh yes... I mostly got stuff about a Stephen King novel, lol

I found a very few pictures, and a very, very brief introduction to the company on vintagemachinery.org. All it says is that the company was founded around 1886, and that they made drill presses. Then they posted a newspaper article printed that described their manufacturing plant. There are only 2 machines in their photo index there, one of which is a No. 1, but it's completely different from mine...

There was a No. 2 posted on eBay, but it looks quite a bit larger than mine...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/382121585317
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:07:00 PM by Twilight Fenrir »

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
Here's the other side of mine...

Offline rustyfordgarage

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
Should be a great drill.  I have the newer No. 41.  I believe they were called sensitive drills.  My understanding and judging by the mass of mine is that they were intended to be used as production type machines for small precise operations.  I would assume to also break less drill bits.  That being said I would see no reason that your drill wouldn't have been powered by a line shaft.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »
 they advertised about 1916 as;

Langelier Mfg. Co.
 Designers and Builders of  Machinery   
 A.T. Langelier;  president.
 A. J. Langelier; his son was superintendant and manager,  both came from Canada

around 1916, their plant was steam powered.

jewelers work a specialty.

I would venture to guess that the number 1 was suited for the use of a jeweler for fine work.

also, looking at your added picture, it looks as if you had choices as to how you wanted your drive belts located.
   just remove your bracket holding the twin pulleys and adding the post with the single horizontal driven pulley in the
   hole where your brackets were bolted.     

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
they advertised about 1916 as;

Langelier Mfg. Co.
 Designers and Builders of  Machinery   
 A.T. Langelier;  president.
 A. J. Langelier; his son was superintendant and manager,  both came from Canada

around 1916, their plant was steam powered.

jewelers work a specialty.

I would venture to guess that the number 1 was suited for the use of a jeweler for fine work.

also, looking at your added picture, it looks as if you had choices as to how you wanted your drive belts located.
   just remove your bracket holding the twin pulleys and adding the post with the single horizontal driven pulley in the
   hole where your brackets were bolted.     
I think those brackets were added after the fact... I found one or two other pictures of different types of brackets for relocating the pulleys... But, I'll have a better idea when it gets here... Still waiting, friend had an emergency, so his shipping of it has been delayed...

I don't have the press yet, but I did find a drive train for a power source in a scrap yard this weekend :D I might see if I can convert it to foot power instead of hand crank, we'll see how it goes once I get it turning...

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA

Offline Twilight Fenrir

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
My press FINALLY came in the mail yesterday! Now the work can begin!

All the important parts are in good shape, and operates smoothly... There's a lot of restoration to be done on the frills, though...

Here she is on my 25" Camel Back press... It has a throw greater than the whole of the press! XD

EDIT: Wow, I need to figure out how to fix image size ^^;

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »
Just found this, and that little drill press is very interesting.   Never seen one in the wild, but keep hoping.    The lamp and wiring alone date to the 30s or earlier.  I do have 2 foot powered flywheels,  that drove a drill press like this.   All cast iron.    They were mounted to the floor beneath a jewelers bench, with the belt coming up through the bench surface.  Got them at the auction of an old friend, who procured them from the local watchmaker in the 1930s. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society