Author Topic: "PERFECT" hog ringing pliers  (Read 3038 times)

Offline cgw2also

"PERFECT" hog ringing pliers
« on: May 17, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »
 Found these at a flea market couple weeks ago and haven't been able to come up with much info on them. Found the Patent document and an advertisement page from a paper of the era and that's been it. Does anyone out there have any knowledge of Brown & Dewey in Ottawa Illinois, how long in business, were they taken over by another company, etc.? I also got a vintage box of Decker Fish Hook Rings which work perfectly in these pliers. I've seen the regular type of hog rings and pliers and sold a nice pair of New Britain P-80 pliers recently but have not ever seen this type before. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Newbie Charlie
(NOT a farm boy apparently)

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: "PERFECT" hog ringing pliers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 03:27:40 PM »
You are doing pretty good to have found the patent and an old advertisement, with a date. That's usually about the most I can hope for when tracking down old tool info.

That being said, this old ad I found is slightly different than the one you posted. It lists Chambers, Bering, and Quinlan Co. as the manufacturer. Google that name and you get all sorts of hits.

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 09:16:27 AM »
Looks like Decker in Keokuk was making hog rings to be used with the "Perfect" hog ringer.  The firm is still in business (http://www.deckermfg.com/about-us/ ) making hog rings.

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:33 AM »
They sold more than one cause I found one in my radio pile and wondered what heck is that doing in here? It's still out there by the door.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums