Author Topic: Punch  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Hoarder

Punch
« on: May 10, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »
This tool in my inherited collection looks very well made and the faint markings looks like J.J. Thetcher. Doing a internet search I haven't found anything. There was an original leaf spring which I guess keep the handles apart. There's also a number 6 or 9 on the end which I guess indicates size.  Anyone have a clue?

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Punch
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
I just had one like that in my hand last week, the return spring was weak. Now what did I do with that?  I fitted brand x sleigh bells to a brand y's leather belt and I had to enlarge the holes (11) in the belt and make 11 S clips to hold them in.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Hoarder

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:20:16 PM »
I just had one like that in my hand last week, the return spring was weak. Now what did I do with that?  I fitted brand x sleigh bells to a brand y's leather belt and I had to enlarge the holes (11) in the belt and make 11 S clips to hold them in.

Thanks for the gogoleygook

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
An internet search turned up some other J.J. Thatcher leatherworking tools for sale, but no patents or company history.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »

Thanks for the gogoleygook

His gobbledygook contained your answer.  He used it to enlarge (punch) holes in leather.  It's a hole punch.

Chilly

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
more gobblity gook on the same order, no name on this one that I can see, didn't get out the magnifying lamp. Surprisingly sharp for it's age

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »
How about GoogleHeLooked ?
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Hoarder

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
more gobblity gook on the same order, no name on this one that I can see, didn't get out the magnifying lamp. Surprisingly sharp for it's age

oldgoaly, Sorry for any misunderstanding but your initial reply to my post still make no sense to me. Sleigh bells? With that said Plyerman's post opened the search by including leather working tools and I found another tool by J. J. THATCHER https://jeffpeachey.com/tag/meaning-of-tools/. I have contacted him and he has no knowledge of the maker. The tools you posted are similar but still shaped differently. The tool in my post looked about the same as those you added, same amount crude and corrosion. At first I saw no makers mark. I used 400 grit wet dry with oil to expose
the very fine engraving Thatcher used. Handmade tools made by individuals are very rare. Hope you find something interesting.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
Oldgoaly gave you an example of the use of your tool.  He used the punch to make larger holes in a leather belt in order to connect bells to it. Think Christmas. Sleigh bells on straps on horses (reindeer?) In order to put the bells on some holes had to be enlarged.

I see no evidence of handmade tools in this post, or of rarity. Unless it is Ebay "rare", which translates to "commonly found on every block in every city in the country with houses built before 1985"

All that doesn't mean they are not valuable.

These are common.  I have examples of single punches like these I bought new.  The Tandy Leather Company sells similar, but not single hand punches anymore. 5 or 6 years ago I was teaching leatherwork to a boy scout troop. I picked up 2-3k of their tools to have enough for everyone to be working on projects. (I opened a commercial account there for the best discount.) The store manager donated a big box of leather scraps for the young men to practice on.

I have a lot of leatherworking tools and have been learning leatherwork since I was 9, more seriously since I was 13. I pick them up whenever I can. They are always popular at estate sales, auctions, both live and online. The better tools (usually vintage tools) are sought after. Yours looks well made.

Although most hollow hole punches are the wheeled type or hollow punch, but you can still get the single size punches from specialty suppliers. Look for "Watch Band" punch or "punch pliers"

The pictures below are web clipped.  They show solid steel handled rotary punch, a pressed metal rotary punch, a sewing punch (but it doesn't really core a punch, more like pushing through and stretching the hole out,) and a modern version of the punch you shared.

IMHO I like using the solid steel punch a whole lot more than the pressed steel type. The punch tips are screwed in and are replaceable. On many of the pressed steel rotary punches the tubes are pressed in and often press back out under use.

Chilly

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 11:32:38 AM »
The wife said she found some bells in the barn, went looking online for a belt/harness? for 11 count bell set, found a old leather belt with same bell count Bell numbering system is odd? biggest is a #15 smallest a #6 got lucky the holes were smaller on the belt.

What are the odds of someone just using a tool someone else asks about? Especially and old one?  With a bad spring too! Didn't think to take a pic of the punch when doing them?