Author Topic: Pexto wrench, adjustable  (Read 5896 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Pexto wrench, adjustable
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
Ah yes, one other that I forgot, that I don't have and that is Craftsman.  In the last 25 years I have only seen two.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »
that's a nice grouping of doubles. I'm anxious to find my next but will just have to wait for yard sale and flea market season.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
The doubles in my collection include;  Crescent Tool, Diamond Tool, DoehL (german), Durex (Japan), Fulton, Lakeside, Merit, Peck Stow and Wilcox (Pexto) and Scholler.  Both Fulton and Merit are have the original name ground off and stamped with their respective names.  Probably should also consider the Baxter wrenches a doubles as they are also adjustable.

Wow!

If you have a chance, take some photos!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 07:21:01 AM »
Pictures are at least 8 weeks away, as I'm on vacation.  However, there is another double I forgot, its a Bemis & Call double with a regular crescent on one end and a pipe crescent on the other.  I high dollar item.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »
coolford, there is one on bay now,  6" Bemis & Call double ended adjustable with pipe & nut ends.

at $66 now,  I think they started at $9.99 ????   climbed up fast.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
Turnnut----If it goes for less than $200.00 I will be surprised.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 03:17:34 PM »
coolford, in my Bemis & Call and Coes wrenches catalog no. 30

that 6" nut & pipe wrench is listed as No. 51   which is designed after their No. 48 "S" wrench & No. 50 "S" pipe wrench.

No. 51  for nuts, open to 3/4"   for pipe  1/8" to 1/2"

price per dozen  $15.oo    yes, that is $1.25 each

at your estimate of $200   that would have bought 160 of those wrenches.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
Here are the pics next to a crescent. I had forgot that the jaws on the crescent have been modified by a previous owner. Other than that I don't see a difference. What say you.

Looks like the depression on the larger one widens as it comes closer to the larger end. Thus the border stays the same width. On the shorter one (the Crescent) the depression stays the same width and the border seems to get thicker. Could be because it's smaller, dies were different.

Maybe it's just my eyes.
Ratchet Guru

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 05:27:14 PM »
Turnnut-----Well its over $100 now and four days to go.  By the way, how big is your catalog # 30.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 06:00:59 PM »
bonneyman
the depression on both taper equally, the border on the pexto is equal thickness throughout, the crescent the border thickens from one end to the other.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
Coolford;       the catalog is  6" x 9"     20 pages, not counting the front & rear covers.

it is from after buying Coe's      I have looked all over it for a date,  but it is just like my Walden/Stevens, it is numbered with no date.
has 16 styles of wrenches with descriptions, prices and replacement parts with prices.

Bemis & Call Co.         established 1835 - incorporated 1855
125 Main Street
Springfield, Mass. U.S.A.
cable address "Callbem" Springfield    (how long ago did they use telegraph service for ordering ?)  during ww11, I remember my mother
getting telegrams from her brothers,  she had 7 brothers in the service at the same time.

note;  I am only 15-20 minutes away from Springfield.