Author Topic: Pexto wrench, adjustable  (Read 5895 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Pexto wrench, adjustable
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:42:46 PM »
Had ten minutes free time this week and made a quick stop at the local pawn shop.   Didn't find anything in the dollar box, or the two dollar box. However in the bottom of the four dollar box were some adjustable wrenches with serious patina.   The Craftsman and Artisan didn't do anything for me, but pulled one out dirty enough that id was tough.  Eight inches, and in the grime was Peck, Stow, &Wilcox.  On the back was the oval PEXTO logo.  I have some tools from P,S,&W, and some marked PEXTO.  Never seen that name on an adjustable.   Cleaned up ok, was working when I found it,  hanging on my bench now.   Anyone else have one, or one with both names?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

Re: Pexto wrench, adjustable
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
How about one of these
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »
I'll take it!!!!    Always been on the look out for a double ender, but always too pricey.  Had it long?

Offline bill300d

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 11:38:19 PM »
I picked it up about a year ago for a dollar at a flea market. The one side doesn't work so good. I guess that's why it was only a dollar but I know I can make right again. It's in the rotation to get cleaned and fixed.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 05:55:04 AM »
Interesting...the only makers of double enders  that I was aware of were Diamond, Crescent, and Scholler.  At least they were the only ones who made a 4in.-6in.  It makes me wonder if P, S, & W may also have made other sizes, including the small one.

Billings & Spencer also had a doubled ended one but it had a pipe wrench on one end and had an "S" shaped handle.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline bill300d

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 07:57:19 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Crescent was the manufacturer of these. I haven't compared them yet but these are very similar.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »
Bill, Normally I would agree, but in this instance I'm not so sure.  Usually contract tools, wrenches especially, would have the name stamped into the metal.  In this instance it's forged into the wrench.  A much more expensive process that does not allow the wrench die to be used for another company.

Double enders don't appear to have been real popular as it is, judging by how few we run across.  And I've never seen any of these.  I can't think that they were much of a money maker for P,S, & W.  Maybe they should have stuck to the tin smiths tools.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »
Never knew PEXTO did adjustables.

That would have went home with me for $4!
Ratchet Guru

Offline bill300d

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 07:05:19 PM »
I had not considered the forged in name, your right that is usually the case. I have a Crescent 4-6in. I'll dig out tomorrow and compare the two. Even though the Pexto in a 6-8in. they should provide some clues.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
Maybe these were initially offered in the Christmas tool catalogs!   Had a neighbor that always carried one in the plier pocket of his bibs, wanted one ever since.   My dad who was much wiser than me, said we don't need one.  Ohhh, if he could see my pile of old tools now, he would give me heck. 

Offline bill300d

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 08:24:26 PM »
John K
Is the name on your adjustable forged in too? I had asumes so but thought I would ask.
Buy the way when my pop sees my pile he just shakes his head and chuckles.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 08:30:41 PM »
The name is cast right in, no stamps.  Only gripe is the moving jaw is a bit loose, slides the whole length tho.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 09:02:19 PM »
I picked it up about a year ago for a dollar at a flea market. The one side doesn't work so good. I guess that's why it was only a dollar but I know I can make right again. It's in the rotation to get cleaned and fixed.
Had ten minutes free time this week and made a quick stop at the local pawn shop.   Didn't find anything in the dollar box, or the two dollar box. However in the bottom of the four dollar box were some adjustable wrenches with serious patina.   The Craftsman and Artisan didn't do anything for me, but pulled one out dirty enough that id was tough.  Eight inches, and in the grime was Peck, Stow, &Wilcox.  On the back was the oval PEXTO logo.  I have some tools from P,S,&W, and some marked PEXTO.  Never seen that name on an adjustable.   Cleaned up ok, was working when I found it,  hanging on my bench now.   Anyone else have one, or one with both names?

Wow!  Great buys!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline bill300d

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »
Here are the pics next to a crescent. I had forgot that the jaws on the crescent have been modified by a previous owner. Other than that I don't see a difference. What say you.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 05:51:34 PM »
The doubles in my collection include;  Crescent Tool, Diamond Tool, DoehL (german), Durex (Japan), Fulton, Lakeside, Merit, Peck Stow and Wilcox (Pexto) and Scholler.  Both Fulton and Merit are have the original name ground off and stamped with their respective names.  Probably should also consider the Baxter wrenches a doubles as they are also adjustable.