Author Topic: some old tools  (Read 6541 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
some old tools
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Years ago in Sioux City Iowa, I noticed that some of the older mechanics did not have roll around tool boxes.  Instead they had a wall box made of wood.  Bolted to the wall above their work bench.   Some were fancy with every socket and wrench in painted outlines, but every one of them was painted red inside.  These were between six and eight feet wide, three feet high and a good ten inches thick with the double hung doors, which were padlocked.   To take my wrench collections to shows I emulated these wooden boxes somewhat.  The wrenches are mostly Williams with a few Bonney.  Don't get on me for painting them, I did, but only to match the half dozen that are New Old Stock, never used wrenches from about 1925.   Anyone got anything like them?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: some old tools
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
I think they look great from here!! Great display. Really nice looking wrenches.
OK, I give, what is that hairpin looking thing on the end of the speeder wrench?? I don't think I ever saw anything like that in my life!
 The pliers are very interesting to. What's the story with those?
  yours Scott
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:31:00 PM by scottg »

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
The speed wrench has a fixed socket, with a second socket on the spring loaded part.  This was for the Model T Ford oil pan.  Ford did not thread the block, so each of the nearly 3 dozen bolts had a nut overhead, this made removal much faster.  Is the only one I've seen with some nickel still on it.   The big pair of pliers is almost pipe wrench size, unknown beyond that, no names or patents.  The other is simply a heavy pair of slip joint pliers bent at a 45 angle, from the looks of it, it came from the factory that way.  Actually the pliers were probably old when those wrenches were made.  Am surprised Scott didn't say anything about the PH  tools!

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:14:35 PM »
Am surprised Scott didn't say anything about the PH  tools!

Have to have closer pictures to see anything.
  WhattamI, 12 years old my eyes are this good?? heeheheh
 yours Scott

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
Click on the picture, Scott, it gets bigger!

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:05:44 AM »
Wow terrific tools and display.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
I think it's a fantastic display.  I like old wrenches and automobile related tools.  I really like that Ford speeder wrench.  I'm fascinated by the fact that many car companies made their own tools and provided them with new cars.  You just have to believe that most of those tools got separated from the car at some point time.  Nice collection.

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
 The large pair of pliers look like Eagle Claw of Rockford Il. Mine are marked just below the pin on the non slotted side. Marking is very shallow . Mine have pat date but mostly illegible.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:53 AM »
The display is impressive!  Everything is so visible (if you enlarge the picture, Scott).  Easy to see why they all painted the insides red.  The history you gave is really valuable -- you seldom find stuff like this.  I'm burning it into my memory banks!   Beauty and utility finely melded -- with history.

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
  The wrenches are mostly Williams with a few Bonney.  Don't get on me for painting them, I did, but only to match the half dozen that are New Old Stock, never used wrenches from about 1925.   Anyone got anything like them?

I have a number of Williams like these, mostly single end wrenches.  Some are in pretty good shape, but none are NOS.   Something about the Williams is just attractive.  They always look like they will do the job.

Offline 64longstep/Brian

• Contributor
  • Phoenix Arizona
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
NICE!!!
If all else fails use a bigger hammer…

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »
Very nice display, John.  Thanks for sharing I may borrow some ideas as I build ways to store tools in the shop.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »
John,

Nicely done... I like the red paint too.

You got any more displays?
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
Here is another box in progress.  I originally started grabbing up the speed handle socket wrenches.  Then stumbled onto a hand ful of the T handles.  Dug out the fixed end wrenches, then realized I had several of the T handle-flex sockets.   Some of these were unique to Ford tool boxes, but put them together, as a working mechanic would have done circa 1932.  Some of these came from my wifes uncles sale.   He started in Missouri as a mechanic in the 30s.  After WWII, he moved to Omaha, evidently brought along his original set of tools as some of them were still in very old cardboard boxes in 1990 at the auction after his passing.  You browse through the old catalogs, some tools are marked, Ford head bolts, Oldsmobile connecting rod, special manifold wrenches, etc.   The box was bought at a thrift store, the outside was red, but the inside was lined with fabric, evidently some lady used it for a craft display, figured it was worth a dollar.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:17:02 AM by john k »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »
Well done John, I really like that,Thanks for the pics