Author Topic: #6C Stanley Bailey Fore Plane  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
#6C Stanley Bailey Fore Plane
« on: July 19, 2015, 12:55:49 PM »
I am not a woodworker and know zilch about planes. I never want to collect them because there is too much to know in order to do it right.
Friday at a garage sale, a fellow had this plane on a table and asked me if I knew anything about it. I told him I could see it was a fore plane and a corrugated model, but that was all. He wanted a value and I told him I didn't think it was worth much, especially to me.
Grungy, rusty, broken tote and cracked knob, all spoke junk to me.
Guess what? He agreed, and insisted on giving it to me. Can't refuse free old tools can I ?

Some research- http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html tells me it is a Stanley Bailey #6C fore plane from after 1910. That is all the research I intend to do. I shot photos, then took it apart.
Worth anything?

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
Re: #6C Stanley Bailey Fore Plane
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
I think the screw holds the chip breaker to the blade so you can set the chip breaker to the blade and then set the blade to the plane. Like you I don't know much about Stanley planes.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:07:01 PM »
The one you mention is there, but the one I'm talking about was in that depression just as you see it in the photo. Not screwed into anything.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:34:09 PM »
Probably  a screw from another plane. Only one is used on each plane.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline stanley62

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
Papaw,  there should not be a screw in the depression.  It is just a space for the screw head holding the chip breaker to the blade.

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 07:48:06 AM »
You don't see as many #6 planes as you do #7 planes.  The #6 fills that small space between the #5 1/2 and the #7.   Maybe that gap was too small to bother filling for most.   I think this one could be made into a decent user.  Are you interested in selling it?  I have that gap in my Stanley planes.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »
Here's a no 6c that I've had as a while for a user. 
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
Branson has that one now. Perhaps he will show us what it looks like after he cleans it up.

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 11:21:58 AM »
It will be a while before it's photogenic -- I've accumulated a number of tool projects that have to be interspersed with actual work.  (I do have the Record table vise I got from Bill all loosened up and serviceable now.)  The knob responded nicely to a couple of applications of 50/50 linseed oil and turpentine.  I'm toying with the idea of repairing the tote, but it may be a complete basket case.  I swiped the blade across a stone a few times, assembled the parts and gave it a try on a piece of wood -- it works.  Stanley Blood and Gore thinks the #6 is near useless, but a wood worker I know thinks they're ideal for panel raising.  He likes the extra weight over that of the jack plane.  I think I'll be on his side when it's all tricked out.

Offline Branson

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
Bird, what's your experience with the #6?

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
I'm not Bird, but I"ve used a No. 6 for some years.  It makes a nice heavy duty jack plane, and can do edge jointing for short boards (3-4 feet).  I always feel, when using it, like Hulk-doing-woodwork, just because it's slightly larger.

I like it.  I wouldn't pine away it I didn't have one, but I'm glad I do.  I actually have three (blushes and scuffs his foot on the ground), two needing cleanup, two Sears and one Monkey Wards (I think that's right).

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »
I love a no 6, I actually have a record no 6 that I use more often, not sure why, I just do. I buy / find/ or am given lumber that is always "rough cut." I do use a powered jointer that I love--- 8 in with 76 in bed! I also use a 13 in. power planer. But, what people don't realize is that a hand plane can make things go a lot quicker. For instance, If you have a big bow or twist it would take forever to run it over the jointer a million times. I usually use a no 6 rather then a no 7 to knock off the high/ low points. Although often, if I'm doing that, I have a 36in. wood jointer that I use (usually on boards 8 feet or longer). I've found that if I'm working on just one or two boards that are smaller , I often use all hand tools. But, if I'm going through a huge stack of lumber, as I often am, I go with the hand tool / power tool combo. That seems to work the best for me.... hand plane, then power jointer, then power planer, then finish the last dge on the table saw.
cheers
jenny
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"