Author Topic: Barcalo Buffalo  (Read 15792 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Barcalo Buffalo
« on: March 11, 2015, 04:17:38 PM »
When we see or hear Barcalo or Barcalo Buffalo, we think of wrenches. Well, this tool has a "wrench" on it. Because I like alligator wrenches, I had to have it.
This a Barcalo Buffalo Combination Kitchen Tool from Patent D-111564 S of  October 4, 1938 by Ernest Cullen, San Diego, Calif.

Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Barcalo Buffalo
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 04:30:48 PM »
A crazy combination tool to be sure. I've got one marked SEALY. Not sure if it came before the Barcalo ones, or after? (or both at the same time?)

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline turnnut

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
the patent states that the patentee, Ernest Cullen assigned it to John B. Smiley of L.A  CA.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »
And the patent info says it was manufactured by Barcalo MFG . Buffalo , NY. I imagine they were offered as promotional items with company name imprinted.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »
Never seen one before. As far as old wrenches, Barcalo Buffalo wrenches are probably the most common old wrenches i find. Unless they are like new or something odd, i don't bother to get them. In 10 years they will probably the most desired old tools and with sky high prices. Oh well.

EvilDr235

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
A crazy combination tool to be sure. I've got one marked SEALY. Not sure if it came before the Barcalo ones, or after? (or both at the same time?)

Where and how do you display your tools? Any pictures of your displays? I hope they do not sit in a box in the closet.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
From what I gather it's a kitchen tool. I can see a screwdriver tip and can opener, and the "alligator" opening looks like what someone would use to open a tight lid on a jar or bottle. The two other cuts/appendages I have no clue.
Ratchet Guru

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
The one I have is marked "BARCALO - BUFFALO U.S.A. // PAT. OCT. 4, 1938 - No. 111,564" so there are some marking variations.
I'm in the process of working up patent 2,230,376 for DATAMP.  It is essentially the same tool, but as a regular patent has more information about the intended function of all the features.
Google that patent & read the specifications -- in particular the passage about the "carbonated beverage can opener" function. ;-)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:22:13 PM by mvwcnews »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:12:21 PM »
Mine looks like Papaw's.  This is the only multi tool manufactured by a furniture company.  Barcalo eventually sold off their tool division to concentrate on manufacturing BarcaLounger easy chairs.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 06:48:59 AM »
One of the Gaier's from the wrench collecting family in Ohio did an article for the Fine Tool Journal on the history of Barcalo. I'll have to see if I can find the issue.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
Mine looks like Papaw's.  This is the only multi tool manufactured by a furniture company.  Barcalo eventually sold off their tool division to concentrate on manufacturing BarcaLounger easy chairs.

I didn't know that. So I wonder if my "Sealy" wrench means that somehow the BarcoLounger furniture maker and Sealy mattress maker are somehow related?

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 07:39:36 PM »

Where and how do you display your tools? Any pictures of your displays? I hope they do not sit in a box in the closet.

I'm in the process of putting together some displays right now. Hopefully I'll have something to take to the fall MVWC meet.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
...I wonder if my "Sealy" wrench means that somehow the BarcoLounger furniture maker and Sealy mattress maker are somehow related?

More likely Barcalo offered them for companies to use as promotional items.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
Per the Fine Tool Journal article Barcalo began making tools in 1914 when they acquired the Charles E. Hall Co which made tools and wrenches. In the 1960's they sold their furniture line to Mohasco Industries and they sold their tool line to Crescent Niagara which also acquired Billings and Spencer and Bridgeport Hardware. Barcalo sold their tools through distributors and hardware stores. The article shows the patent  drawing for the combination tool but doesn't mention anything about it in the write up. It also shows a patent drawing for design patent 59,786 patented November 22, 1921 for the handle design on their adjustable wrenches. The article appears in the Summer 2011 issue, Volume 61 Number 1

"Starting in 1896 Barcalo founded Barcalo and Boll Manufacturing Company in Buffalo New York." Edward Joel Barcalo was born in 1870.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 03:50:32 AM »
Since I was reorganizing my Barcalo tools on Tuesday, I took some pictures. The first picture is raised panel stamped DOE wrenches. The second is what Barcalo calls Double Grip DOE wrenches. Next is Barcalo auto wrenches. Last is Barcaloy combo wrenches.
-Don
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 03:59:47 AM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR