Author Topic: Brass or Bronze #10!  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Branson

Brass or Bronze #10!
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:28:26 AM »

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Brass or Bronze #10!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
Patternmaker's tool?

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:49:35 PM »
Are you sure he is not mistaken about it being brass?  It looks cast iron to me.  I guess it could be really tarnished, but that sure looks like rust on the side.

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
It's definitely bronze or brass -- catch the light on some of the edges.  "Really tarnished" would be almost black for bronze or brass.

A lot of "Stanley" planes and such are found in brass/bronze, though almost none were offered as such by Stanley.  I've heard a number of stories about how they came to be, but nobody seems to be really certain, or able to document the source.  One such story is that Stanley workers made the brass ones for fun in the after hours.

Jim C, do you have any ideas?  Different, probably apocryphal stories?

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
I love this!
 Definitely not Stanley or even made at a Stanley plant.
 But skilled foundry men could copy almost anything.

The usual problem is, taking it from gawdawful rough sand cast to a finished working tool is a huge huge job. Only a fool takes on that job.
 I am that fool  :smiley:

Somebody did a high percentage of the work on this #10.
The frog is weird, and its been abandoned to rust the steel parts. But still a guy could make this one magic!
     yours Scott
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:06:17 PM by scottg »

Offline BruceS

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
That is a Carriage makers plane,  on the fragile side.  The "nose" would crack of break off if dropped on the knob end.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:14:58 AM »
I have had a few of those brass or bronze copies, so I knew they existed.  You would think they would be desirable, but they do not bring much more than a regular plane.  That one is nice because it is a No. 10. 

The reason I asked is because I have also seen some cast iron ones rust to a strange patina that almost looked like brass.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »
That is a Carriage makers plane,  on the fragile side.  The "nose" would crack of break off if dropped on the knob end.
Which no doubt explains why my 10-1/2 (similar design, but shorter) came to me cracked on one side; later welded up by my uncle.

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
Which no doubt explains why my 10-1/2 (similar design, but shorter) came to me cracked on one side; later welded up by my uncle.

My own is cracked on one side and brazed up.   I don't think they are fragile in use, but get very upset if dropped.

Now to find a replacement blade that doesn't cost me more than the plane did.  The blade it came with has 1/8 inch of blade left, so it was a very useful plane to its previous owner.

Offline stillfishin

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:21:10 PM »
One time I had a 605 bedrock that I thought was bronze. Turns out it had been repaired at some point and the man with the torch not only brazed the crack expertly but then gave the whole plane a bronze coat. I didn't figure that out until I looked it over in different lighting and seen the evidence of the crack. Id love to take a file to this one on ebay....