Author Topic: 3/8 rats  (Read 4040 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
3/8 rats
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:14:10 PM »
 Today I bought 6- 3/8 ratchets. Since I have 112 ratchets in my basement the chances of already having most of these were pretty great. Turns out only 2 were duplicates. I had the SK Wayne 3870 swivel head and the SK 45170. I had the 5249 in Plomb but not the Proto. Since it was 9 degrees Fahrenheit when I left for the auction I guess I was entitled to an acorn or two. Now I'll have 116 ratchets in my basement. I do loan tools but its only local pickup.

Top one is SK 3870 swivel head
Rest from left to right
Craftsman v-43785
Proto 5249
Armstrong 11-901
Williams B-52
SK 45170
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: 3/8 rats
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
The Williams looks nice. When I see the "& co" on a Williams I know its old enough to be good. The newer ones just say Williams and I have not has good a luck with those.
 But the old -& co- Superratchets? Those click like a bear trap!

I never had one of those Armstrongs in any size. Looking forward to trying one soon.
The S-K roto head? I never had a rotohead of anyone's make.
 These are new though, so getting one should be pretty easy.
    yours Scott

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
  Scot, That roto-head has a Apr 1961 patent so its newer to you and I but maybe not to some of the younger guys. Pat 2977824.
Noticed in another post that you are doing some housekeeping. I am also doing the Susie Homemaker bit and I find the cooking a good experience if it wasn't for the clean-up. The sweeping and dusting are not so enjoyable but bearable.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
That Proto 5249 has been apart and put together backwards. I find it odd that you did not have a Proto 5249 ratchet. They are quite common in my world. The oldest ones are marked Los Angeles. I really like Proto pear head ratchets and buy every one in good shape and cheap i can find and have for the last 40 + years. There is some models that have eluded me tho. The springs inside them is about the only thing that wears out if you keep them clean. I have hoarded away a bunch of repair kits also.

EvilDr235

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:42:22 PM »
Today I bought 6- 3/8 ratchets. Since I have 112 ratchets in my basement --------Now I'll have 116 ratchets in my basement. ---

Already passed 2 of them along? Or kept two on the desk to fondle awhile? :grin:
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
 They (all 6) are within arms reach but 4 of them will migrate to basement next time I go. The 2 duplicates will have to find a new home. At my age I don't take useless trips to basement;they can go next time I need to be in basement.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
     trips to the basement? yeah I do that about 30 times a day
 and today, with a big storm pouring inches and inches of water down, I am also making laps to the attic to check for water leakage.

I found a couple tricks that help me so far.
 I clean up my cooking mess as I make it.  Well, I try to.
Somehow, when I already cooking, busy running around, rinsing out a few things as I go is not much of a burden.
  But if I wait until I am not hungry anymore, and everything is cold and clabbory and unpalatible, washing up is a much worse ordeal. 

The other thing I was taught by a very smart girl. Polish your sink first.
  Any serious cleaning project, polish your sink first.
  It only takes a few seconds and its worth it. When the sink is shiny the world rests easier.

Oh bonus not sure its right for anyone else, but,
 Polishing my pans was worth the effort. To me.
 Apparently it was not special to the ex. Her pans were clean and all, but not really polished.
 I find once I have broke down and polished a pan nicely, its easy to keep polished, and a sparkly pan makes a bad job just a little bit better.  To me.
I eat off silver flatware (plated, I would use solid sterling if I had it)  for the same reason. Washing a shiny silver spoon is a little nicer than dull old stainless.

If you figure out a way to make dusting and sweeping better I sure would like to hear it.
    yours Scott 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:03:04 PM »
I bought one of the roto-heads a few years back to try it. Nice mechanism, solid, and I like S-K roundheads.
But I just didn't come up against a job that it made a difference. So, I sold it for what I paid.

But there are days I wish I'd kept it.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Branson

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »
I am also doing the Susie Homemaker bit and I find the cooking a good experience if it wasn't for the clean-up. The sweeping and dusting are not so enjoyable but bearable.

Scott's advice to clean while you are cooking is a first rate suggestion.   There's always little bits of time between cooking prep steps to wash up a few things.  And get yourself a copy of Peg Braken's I Hate to Cook Book.  Easy recipes that taste quite good.  Her recipe for Chicken Rice Roger is good for squirrel, rabbit, and such, really good.  She also put out an I Hate Housework book.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
 Took a closer look at the SK rats today and both are of different vintage. Besides different markings one swivel head has allen head screw and other one has slot head screw.(of course the slot head could be a replacement by previous owner) Also the handle dia is 11/16 & 5/8.
 The 45170 has different markings and the handle dia also is 11/16 and 5/8. Assume they changed handle dia at some point but don't know when.
 Looks like some more research is called for.
 Didn't thunk to post these in Ratchet post. Some of the old hand ratchet guys probably have the answers I want.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »
  If you figure out a way to make dusting and sweeping better I sure would like to hear it.
    yours Scott 
Mrs. Chilly has told me for decades that "real women don't dust." I've caught her doing it, though. 

I (well, me and Mrs. Chilly, anyway) am just finishing installation of oak flooring in our master suite. Pre-finished with an UV cured finish that is hard as rubies, it seems. It is much easier to sweep than the carpet was.

Chilly

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »
Back in the early 1980s i fellow at work gave me a S&K roto head ratchet that had the teeth missing on one pawl. At the time i just tossed it in my bottom tool box after being told by my local S&K dealer i needed a sales receipt to get it fixed or replaced. Years later i came across it and tossed it the trip to Japan dumpster.

EvilDr235