Author Topic: Perfect Handle Pricing  (Read 5289 times)

Offline leg17

Perfect Handle Pricing
« on: December 22, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »

Offline mikeswrenches

• In Memoriam
Re: Perfect Handle Pricing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
Thanks for posting the link.  I had no idea people would pay that much.  I guess I better raise the price on mine...by a bunch.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
It is for two of them and they are getting harder to find. I only have one because I am a cheapskate.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
Must be paying extra for the un-noted professional restoration -- the 9/16 is way too pretty for an old tool.    I doubt it looked that nice new out of the box.

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »
I have never found a perfect handle wrench, I gotta imagine they are very hard to find. I sold a nice HD Smith screwdriver for up near $70 a while back but that was more than I expected to get for it

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »

Offline turnnut

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
S-O-L-D  $356.oo     4 bidders

Offline leg17

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »
Same seller.

Offline leg17

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
Guess we all need to freshen up our buffing wheels.
Bid history on some of these shows at least three aggressive bidders.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 08:48:11 PM »
Wow, crazy money

At least for me
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
OMG
 I have lived to see it

In a million years I would not have believed that I would live long enough to see my beloved Perfect Handles getting the attention they always deserved.
    Damn

Over 40 years I loved them
In the beginning, if anyone else, anywhere loved them? Yeah they probably did, but they weren't talking to me!
  Forgotten, barely noticed. Old screwdrivers what in hell does anone want with old screwdrivers?

They were the grungy forlorn old men at the corner of the swap meet, that's who. Everything we have, everything we collect.......... in the generation before us, nobody wanted it for dirt. It was crap. They were dross on the fringe of society.

Old tools? What are you kidding? Who wants new tools, much less old tools. It was a different world. It was jetty and flashy and hip. Old tools had no place no more.

I bought tools from the last of them. Same old tired dark greasy fruit crates. Consigned to the edge of the antique show or swap meet because nobody else wanted them nearby.
 Once in a while one of them would open a shop. It never lasted. A few seasons and gone. But in that minute, tools were exchanged for very little.
  Then came the decorators. Who bought old tools to hang on the wall and hoped there would one day be a market for it. These guys opened shops, but the price was too high for taking any home for fun.

But it was the crazy picker scroungers, who saved all of the old tools, all of them. Just one or two generations back.
  They are responsible for everything we have.

I have lived to see Perfect Handles loved. Whoda thunk it?
 Does this mean my number is almost up?
  yours Scott
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:29:02 AM by scottg »

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »
No, but you are starting to sound older......

Chilly

PS  maybe you will win some lottery or something?

Offline burnsie

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 07:12:07 PM »
OMG
 I have lived to see it

In a million years I would not have believed that I would live long enough to see my beloved Perfect Handles getting the attention they always deserved.
    Damn

Over 40 years I loved them
In the beginning, if anyone else, anywhere loved them? Yeah they probably did, but they weren't talking to me!
  Forgotten, barely noticed. Old screwdrivers what in hell does anone want with old screwdrivers?

They were the grungy forlorn old men at the corner of the swap meet, that's who. Everything we have, everything we collect.......... in the generation before us, nobody wanted it for dirt. It was crap. They were dross on the fringe of society.

Old tools? What are you kidding? Who wants new tools, much less old tools. It was a different world. It was jetty and flashy and hip. Old tools had no place no more.

I bought tools from the last of them. Same old tired dark greasy fruit crates. Consigned to the edge of the antique show or swap meet because nobody else wanted them nearby.
 Once in a while one of them would open a shop. It never lasted. A few seasons and gone. But in that minute, tools were exchanged for very little.
  Then came the decorators. Who bought old tools to hang on the wall and hoped there would one day be a market for it. These guys opened shops, but the price was too high for taking any home for fun.

But it was the crazy picker scroungers, who saved all of the old tools, all of them. Just one or two generations back.
  They are responsible for everything we have.

I have lived to see Perfect Handles loved. Whoda thunk it?
 Does this mean my number is almost up?
  yours Scott

Nice looking set of Perfect Handles Scott. Did you sand down all the existing finishes on the scales? What did you use to finish them? They show nice grain. I usually try to clean mine but leave the existing finish and put some Watco oil and wax on them.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 10:00:45 AM »
Nice looking set of Perfect Handles Scott. Did you sand down all the existing finishes on the scales? What did you use to finish them? They show nice grain. I usually try to clean mine but leave the existing finish and put some Watco oil and wax on them.

Burnsie
  No, you are looking at figured walnut, Asian rosewood, African blackwood, ebony, Honduras rosewood and snakewood. Some of the most precious woods there are.

I figured out how they originally set the handle scales. Nobody remembered how they did it. 
 You press them in. Press some and carve to the line. Press and carve, press and carve. Eventually they will lay right in like they were poured in place.  Perfect fit

It took me 3 years screwing around on an off to figure that out. Since then I have taught many guys how.
    yours Scott

Offline Yadda

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 01:04:10 PM »

Burnsie
  No, you are looking at figured walnut, Asian rosewood, African blackwood, ebony, Honduras rosewood and snakewood. Some of the most precious woods there are.

I figured out how they originally set the handle scales. Nobody remembered how they did it. 
 You press them in. Press some and carve to the line. Press and carve, press and carve. Eventually they will lay right in like they were poured in place.  Perfect fit

It took me 3 years screwing around on an off to figure that out. Since then I have taught many guys how.
    yours Scott

Wow!  With the methodolgy for adding the wood to the handles it's easy to see why plastics took over. 

Makes me wonder how many people worked at the plant where these were made and how many did they turn out each day?
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....