Author Topic: 1951 MG TD Original Tool Wrap Tools & Jack  (Read 4125 times)

Offline RodFru2u

1951 MG TD Original Tool Wrap Tools & Jack
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
Greetings again all,

My name is Rod, and I’m a tool junkie.  Until about two years ago I NEVER even thought about collecting or even looking at old tools. Having used both hand and machine tools most of my life, to rebuild or tear apart one project or another I’ve got my share of modern tools and then some, I even  have some of my Grand Fathers’ tools and one day I promise to return a few of my Pop’s tools, just  soon as I’m done with them (16’ extension ladder 3 years – 4’ Bolt cutters 4 years).
     One of my hobbies is working with my father restoring vintage cars; we have completed two projects and are in the process of our third. In the “Shop” we have a 1934 Packard 1100 {Bertha} that was an 8 year project (1980-88)             Parked out front is our 1951 MG TD {Gypsy} that was a 5 year project (2000-05). My Father is the second owner of the MG; it was his daily driver from 1959 to 1965. I tried to restore it in 70’smyself, but failed to complete it at that time. Now she is normally the “Oldest Gal @ the Ball “at most of the British Cars that show up at the car shows.                                                                    Our current project is a 1949 Packard Woody (Pik A Pak). Pop picked up this beauty in the early 90’s, we started tearing into it Jan 2010. Some one before we owned the Woody chopped it up and made a Pick Up out of it. I’ve seen it done on a Caddy to a truck(ish). The body is too far gone and too rare to find a donor body to try and go back to original on this project. We are going to try and make a Packard Woody Pick up Truck, My Pop is 78 and I hope to finish this project with him in 5- 10 years. 
     The MG is what started my current obsession. I was at a British Car Event and a gentleman had an “Original Tool Kit “for his car.      We have an almost (I lost one somewhere) complete full set of Craftsmen Whitworth wrenches {Pop bought in ’59 from Sears} we restored the car with that set, including tap & die set. I never thought about a tool kit until I noticed his. These Little British Cars came to the USA with Factory Tool Kits {Whitworth Wrenches by King Dick, Screw Driver and Hammer by Shelley}, Dunlop Tyre Lever, and Jack {by Shelley} (including handle). When I started my search to obtain the original tools, I first dug thru Pop’s garage. He had saved the Jack (with handle), the starting crank and one of the two tyre irons.     

I can buy Reproduction tools, and I see E-Bay tools for way more then I am willing to spend. So I hunt the local swap meets and tool shows. I have not had a chance to attend any tool auctions or estate sales yet. I have dug through piles of rusted steel and boxes of greasy metal in my searches. I have been lucky enough to find many gems that to this day still blow me away to look at, like an original MG Cylinder Head adjusting wrench with the Octagon, which EVERBODY is looking for.
       Online I have seen this one wrench  going for $ 80 - $120  plus shipping from UK, I found it in a pile of rusted junk for $ 1.00.  Found one of the missing Tyre Irons in a 5 for $ 1 pile,            So My Quest continues to complete the tool wrap before I pass it down to the next generation

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
Re: 1951 MG TD Original Tool Wrap Tools & Jack
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
Unless I miss my guess, those are a pair of King Dick pliers in that tool pouch.  I am looking at the same pair on my desk.  I'm trying to sell them here on Tool Talk, but no takers yet. 

Are those pliers original to the MGTD tool pouch?  Please advise.

Thanks!

Offline RodFru2u

Re: 1951 MG TD Original Tool Wrap Tools & Jack
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
Well I finally think i figured out how to post a picture (maybe). Here is my pair of King Dick Pliers that I found at a swap meet. I always keep my eyes open for any and all King Dick & Shelley Tools. It's kinda a kick when I find any tool made in  England or any Whitworth wrench or socket.  I Dig thru many tons of rusted and grimy  tools to find a few gems, The stories these tools could tell.