Author Topic: Champion "S" Wrench  (Read 10761 times)

Offline leg17

Champion "S" Wrench
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
I have a couple of pretty generic looking "S" wrenches marked CHAMPION.
Anyone know who made them?
They are not marked 'DEARMENT', just CHAMPION.
Maybe the Blower and Forge Champion?
Or maybe Gene Autrey's horse?

Offline keykeeper

Re: Champion "S" Wrench
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
A picture would help. What sizes are they?

I have seen wrenches before marked "Champion", but only online.

I believe Champion Blower and Forge did ship wrenches with some of their items. I know I have seen one that goes with a post drill made by them in an eBay auction some time back. It was made to fit the square head set screws to tighten the "Never Slip" drill chuck, and the screws that secured the crank handles, flywheels and table adjustment clamp.

I'd be interested in trading for them if, after seeing them, they are for that purpose. I have two of there post drills, and a forge blower.
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 11:10:18 PM »

I have a whole set of 5 or 6 , sequentially numbered, somewhere. I don't think they are for Champion Blower&Forge co, a whole set wouldn't make any sense. I decided at one point that they might possibly be related to Syracuse Wrench co, but mostly just because they were using that name on socket sets,  never found any conclusive proof of it...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
 Need a picture.  Some possibilities are "Champion Corp of Hammond,In and Champion Mower and Reaper Co. of Springfield,Il" Both of these companies produced "S' wrenchs. I have some wrenchs marked "Champion " that I don't believe were made by either of these companies.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline leg17

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »
Haven't got photo resources at the moment.
The wrenches have CHAMPION and a blank number 503 or 504 forged into the handle.  These were stamped into the die, not stamped into the wrench, so they are raised up on the wrench.
The heads have no markings, not even size.

There is a couple on eBay right now that look like they match.  This looks like them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-500-Curved-S-Vintage-Wrench-6-Ll-1-2-X-3-8-/370487896429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5642cca96d

Offline Bus

• Contributor
    • The Wrenchingnews
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
Here are the Champion wrenches I have. S-wrenches top to bottom are marked: 500, 501, 502, 503, 504 and 504A.
Straight wrenches with angled ends on right don't have a number. Length top to bottom is: 9", 8-1/4" (Notice that this is the only one whith with openings for hex nuts or bolts), 7", 5-3/4" and 4-1/2".

Would like to find out who made these for sure and if anybody has any I don't have.  I have several duplicates to trade.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:14:17 PM by Bus »

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »
Bus:

The Champion wrenches on the right side of your photograph are what are called 'Textile' wrenches in the Delaware Valley. I am not sure why.  Do you know why, and is it possible the Champion wrenches you display were made for two different end uses?

Offline leg17

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:54:46 PM »
BUMP

Still wondering who made them.

The "textile" pattern is at least back to the turn of the century, (the OTHER turn).
I think they are in early Williams catalogs.
Other than the obvious, I don't know the specific intended use.

Offline Wrenchmensch

• Contributor
  • Wrenches tell of man's freedom to think
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »
Jim:

You know more about companies named "Champion" than I do.  I have a partially-identified 10-inch Champion (it's similar to a Whitely wrench) in my collection.  Do you know if this wrench was produced by the Champion Mower and Reaper Company?  It does have the "cold fingers" style of adjustment knob favored by the end users of agricultural wrenches in winter.

Bob

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51:38 PM »
I found three of the straight wrenches with angled ends today.

did we ever find out any more about this company??

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
I put a few rusted wrenches in vinegar yesterday and gave them a quick brushes to see if there were any markings and 2 of them are Champion s wrenches. Haven't seen any numbers they're pretty crusty yet.
RooK E

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 05:42:20 AM »
Last week while doing research on Cornwell (you guys should check it out under Todd's Research on my site.........their "corporate history" is complete BS!) and looking for more information on the company Eugene Cornwell LEFT Cornwell to form, Titan-Rite of Elmira, NY.  Anyway, I came across an advertisement for these Champion Wrenches by Syracuse Wrench Co.

Offline leg17

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »
Can you add a reference or a link?
Thanks

Offline leg17

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
Thanks a lot.
Could be a possibility though 'S' wrenches not shown.