Author Topic: My Plierench Collection  (Read 23495 times)

Offline Yadda

My Plierench Collection
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:57:46 PM »
My main tool collection is focused on Plierenchs.  So as a way of further introducing myself I decided to share a few photos of my collection.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Yadda

Re: My Plierench Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »
And more...

Offline Yadda

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
These are Masterform and Vaco versions.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »
Very nice collection!

Have you found more of the 8 1/2 in. versions than the 7 in. ones?  I got my first 7 incher last Sunday, but have had many more of the larger size.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:19:35 PM »
The very top photo is 7inch sets.  I also have a Masterform, Heyco and Nopak 7's.

The 8.5 is more common because more were manufactured.  The 8.5 was made fom 1919 to 1932 in different version and the into the 1980's or later by different companies.  The 7 in was manufactured starting in1933.  In addition. the 7inch only has three jaws. 

Offline Yadda

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
The specialty jaws,

Heyco, Nopak, and a version I bought from the U.K.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:25:41 PM by Yadda »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
My oldest plierenchs.  1922"B"

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Don't sound like a tool problem at all, not yet, there is still time, maybe.   When a pile falls over and blocks the shop door so you can't  get out, now that is a difficulty but not a problem, so they say.   I have seen one set of Plierench in the wild, and they wanted real money for it,  there is something about these. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
Very nice collection!

Have you found more of the 8 1/2 in. versions than the 7 in. ones?  I got my first 7 incher last Sunday, but have had many more of the larger size.

Mike

Let's see a photo of your 7 inch... Plierench.

I saw a Vaco ad that show a 7 inch Vaco branded plierench, but I've never seen one in the wild.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
Don't sound like a tool problem at all, not yet, there is still time, maybe.   When a pile falls over and blocks the shop door so you can't  get out, now that is a difficulty but not a problem, so they say.   I have seen one set of Plierench in the wild, and they wanted real money for it,  there is something about these.

No doubt John, there is something quirky and desirable. 

I've paid more for the sets, but most of my three jaw basic sets including the 7 inch sets were gathered relatively  inexpensively. 

Offline Branson

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »
Yadda, that's a pretty impressive collection.   I found exactly one at a flea market, and it came home with me.  Just the standard jaw, of course, but what a useful as well as quirky tool.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
Yadda, here is a picture of my 7" Plierench.  It is dated 1942...my birth year also.  It's in decent condition although a previous owner got carried away with his wire wheel.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:01:01 PM by mikeswrenches »

Offline Charles Garrett

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »
Don't overlook the 2 small stamped screwdrivers.  The one from the UK is sure different.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »
Here are three more Plierench examples, although these are the 8 1/2" versions.  The top two appear to be identical, the bottom one is newer, and with the exception of some minor pitting, appears to be unused.

I never paid much attention to the construction details on these things until you posted about them.  I noticed that the two early examples I pictured, are heavier and the jaws thicker than on the later example.  Possibly because they were using alloy steels by then.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:53:14 AM by mikeswrenches »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
Here are three more Plierench examples, although these are the 8 1/2" versions.  The top two appear to be identical, the bottom one is newer, and with the exception of some minor pitting, appears to be unused.

I never paid much attention to the construction details on these things until you posted about them.  I noticed that the two early examples I pictured, are heavier and the jaws thicker than on the later example.  Possibly because they were using alloy steels by then.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Nice examples. 

The two older versions are generally referred to as "World Flight" models.  I can't tell from the pictures.  Are the gears angles or straight?  Angled gears were manufactured after December 1924(?) until 1932ish and the straight gears were manufactured prior to that time in this model and then again starting in 1933.  Technically speaking the pre December 1924 models really aren't World Flight models, but is a small quibble.

The later version was the new version with the new patent.  You may notice it has two patent numbers on it.  There is less detail in the handle in the later models and the stamped date of manufacture is also a key indicator.   As you noted, the later models are thinner making them weigh less.  The World Flight model as well as the 1921 A, and the 1922 B are beasts in comparison.   I suspect Joseph Eifel realized he could cast more tools if he cut down on the width.  The decreased level of detailing in later models compared to the 1921-22 era models is much different.  The cost of manufacturing for later models was probably lower.