Author Topic: My Plierench Collection  (Read 23487 times)

Offline Yadda

Re: My Plierench Collection
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2021, 10:58:56 PM »
Very cool add. Any idea of the date?  Kidda looks like something from the 1960s in Mechanics illustrated or a similar magazine.

No, but I think you are on the right track.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Mike H

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2021, 05:36:48 AM »
I got a copy when the oil-soaked directions pamphlet was posted. I have one that belonged to my Grandad.
Have 2 or 3 extra jaws with it. However, had no idea there were two sizes or that they came with snazzy
pouches. Will take a look next time I walk in shop.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »
Hi Yadda, In answer to your question:  the two older ones have angle cut gears, the newer ones, both the 8 1/2" and 7" have the straight gears.

I wasn't aware they had changed back and forth over the years. I'll have to watch for the old ones with the straight gears.

Mike

[ I'm jumping in to this point in the thread because Google Books provides clue to the "angle gear" question. 
"Angle Gear" appears in 1928 - 1929 Eifel ads in POPULAR SCIENCE & POPULAR MECHANICS. I edited an extract from one ad for use in the forthcoming Sept. 2021 MVWC Newsletter. -- Stan S. ]

Everything I've seen since 1933 has the straight gears. 

I have several with the angle gears including a full set with three jaws and the case.  I also have a older set with the straight jaws.   I'll post separate photos later.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2021, 12:33:06 AM »
Something else for PLIERENCH fanciers -- { https://www.google.com/books/edition/Federal_Trade_Commission_Decisions/7GwhAQAAIAAJ } search for "American Plierench" - text starts at pg. 1351  in that volume.  The Federal Trade Commission weighed in on the "make money selling these" and other aspects of Eifel's advertising.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
What can you buy for $1.00?  Last Saturday went to Menard's to get some LED work lights.  On the way home traffic came to a halt because someone was turning left.  I noticed a garage sale on the right (was 2:00 PM) thought just a bunch of junk, but for some reason stopped anyway.  It was junk for the most part, there was some stuff on the ground and the guy mentioned that anything on the ground was $1.00.  Just junk, but what is that OD pouch--touched it with my foot.  Something inside, looked, Oh Crap, held it up guy said $1.00.  OK.

It appears it is NOS and counting the jaw in the plier there are eight.  I had never seen the two jaws to the right in the picture before.  I suspect it was a special military order.  How lucky can you get!!

Offline Yadda

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
It's official.  YOU SUCK!

Wow!  I'd be happy to double or triple your money and pay shipping.  :grin:

The top jaw on the far right is reversible.  You can stick it in from the back side and use the Plierench as a spreader.  The lower far right appears to be the rare clamp jaw.  The only piece missing is the jaw clip cover that helps center pipe when you use the pipe cutter. 

Wow!  Just wow!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:50:46 PM by Yadda »

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2021, 08:03:35 PM »
Nice score! In addition to all the neat jaws the good folks at Eiffel also stamped the year of manufacture in amongst all the stampings on the other side. I don’t remember ever seeing the clamp jaw before.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 05:14:18 AM by mikeswrenches »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »
The one in the pouch is dated 54 and another one I have is dated 59.  Now I have another one that is marked Vaco plierwrench and is the same as both the 54 and 59 except for the markings and the plastic on the handles.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »
Vaco and Masterform made plierenches in the late 60's and 70's before the company was sold to NOPAK in 1980.