Author Topic: Inside a ratchet: How they work  (Read 225511 times)

Offline Porcupine5666

Re: Inside a ratchet: How they work
« Reply #360 on: May 11, 2022, 08:50:34 PM »
Some single "see-saw" pawl rats

Here's a Stanley-made Tri-Wing Craftsman 1/4" #9-43795 above a newer Stanley-made Husky QR 1/4" #20202. Though bearing different brand names - and separated by more than 20 years - the gear sets interchange, because both are made for Stanley in Taiwan.

Here's the guts of the Thorsen 1/4" to the left of the Tri-Wing 1/4". The single see-saw pawls are evident.

Hey I know it's been a hot second, but would you happen to know if the Husky 20202 or its cousins come apart further? I've just got a Husky 20202 with quick release and a thumb wheel that's seen better days. I'd love to give it a nice deep cleaning, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the selector comes off. I've got no problem popping in a repair kit for a one of the many similar models, but I've been unable to find ones with quick release and the thumbwheel. In fact, the Husky ones are the only thumbwheel models of that style (not rhft) that I've been able to find that also include quick release.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #361 on: May 11, 2022, 10:13:10 PM »

Here's a Stanley-made Tri-Wing Craftsman 1/4" #9-43795 above a newer Stanley-made Husky QR 1/4" #20202. Though bearing different brand names - and separated by more than 20 years - the gear sets interchange, because both are made for Stanley in Taiwan.

Here's the guts of the Thorsen 1/4" to the left of the Tri-Wing 1/4". The single see-saw pawls are evident.

Hey I know it's been a hot second, but would you happen to know if the Husky 20202 or its cousins come apart further? I've just got a Husky 20202 with quick release and a thumb wheel that's seen better days. I'd love to give it a nice deep cleaning, but I can't for the life of me figure out how the selector comes off. I've got no problem popping in a repair kit for a one of the many similar models, but I've been unable to find ones with quick release and the thumbwheel. In fact, the Husky ones are the only thumbwheel models of that style (not rhft) that I've been able to find that also include quick release.

It is possible but tedious and lost springs are quite common.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:22:22 PM by bonneyman »
Ratchet Guru

Offline Porcupine5666

« Reply #362 on: May 12, 2022, 08:28:37 AM »

It is possible but tedious and lost springs are quite common.

Some of the pawl teeth are pretty torn up so I’m considering it a loss otherwise and will just have to buy a replacement ratchet. Any chance you could give me a couple pointers on it?