Author Topic: Spokeshave ID help  (Read 2546 times)

Offline swervncarz

Spokeshave ID help
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
Anyone have any clue who the makers would be on these two spokeshaves? They appear to be the same make, just different sizes. I can't find any markings. Also any recommendations on cleaning the wood? They seem to bee in nice condition just dirty.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
Re: Spokeshave ID help
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
We're never going to know who made these. Unless you come on a mark as you clean, we'll never know.
There were 2 or 3 American companies and at least a dozen English ones.
These are standard pattern shaves. The evolution of spokeshaves kept getting better until finally the standard pattern nobody could top, emerged.
 Everybody made the pattern, since it was the best there was, for about the next 100 years.
  Finally, all the guys who knew that the standard pattern couldn't be beat, finally died off. It was so commonplace during their lives that they forgot to tell their kids what was good.
   So the next generation and all the ones since are kind of lost. They keep trying different things.
 But once upon a time, this pattern was so tight? Everybody knew.............

These look to be beechwood. Most are, after all.
 If you don't have any handy make yourself some Galoot mix. That's 1/3 wax, 1/3 boiled linseed oil and 1/3 thinner.  Any kind of wax and either turps or paint thinner, whichever smell seem the least objectionable to you.
 Melt the wax, then take the pan off the heat and mix in your two liquids while its hot.

Spread out some newspapers to work on. Its gonna get messy!
 Take a small rag, very small, about 2" square, and dip some mix up. Rub down the tool.
Now do the other one. Use plenty.
 Back to the first, wipe it clean with a paper towel. Gross, huh? 
 So do it again.
 Each rubdown takes another layer of schmutz off, while it penetrates the finish in.

You know you're done when they are gorgeous and the paper towel comes up clean.
    yours Scott   

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:56:31 PM »
Thanks Scott. I assume that you used this galoot mix before? I have read that linseed oil will darken the wood, is that true?

Offline Branson

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
Yeah, linseed oil will darken the wood.  So?  It also feeds the wood, which is a good thing.  All those dark brown wooden planes started out as bright yellow beech.  All the dark brown hammer handles started out bright, pale hickory. 

I haven't got around to making up some Galoot mix (yet), but Underhill recommended simple mineral spirits.  I haven't always been satisfied with that.  Not too long ago, I picked up a beech handled pad saw that had a lot of green paint on it, so I used lacquer thinner to get rid of the paint.  It also got rid of the grunge of the years.  Tried it on a triangle scraper with years of grungy oil and dirt, and it took away most of that.  Think I'll experiment with lighter fluid soon -- rare book dealers use it to lift out dirt and glue and grease from the covers of rare books.

A lot of grunge will come away with a mild detergent as well.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:02:11 PM »
Your spokeshaves are pitch black,........ you are worried about darkening? heehehehee

Linseed oil brings out the color and character of wood like nothing else ever can. Most woods look like chalky paste (in my opinion) without it.  I use it on every kind of wood I am not ashamed of.
  Certain woods are so blah, you almost ---have-- to stain.
Otherwise linseed oil lets wood be wood, and its more beautiful than any artificial pigment could ever be.   

But its not a final finish.
 If you merely use a lot of linseed oil and nothing else (you will read old recipes for linseed finish if you look around), dirt schmutz and etc will slowly migrate in, and it will actually turn dark.
 But any topcoat stops that.
 Hense, the wax. 

Trust me, mix up some sauce and try it. With each scrubbing it comes up lighter and prettier until it just glows.
  Go over to the Gazette and look up Gary Lauver's screwdriver experiments. I got him to try it and he took lots of pictures.  Nothing is better for cleaning the wood on old tools. Its magic.
  You'll see.
  yours Scott

Offline swervncarz

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.... I was just curious, not really worried!

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
swervncarz,

Take scottg's advise and give the galoot mix a try.  It's really and easy process and the results will stun you.

I would add one more step to the process; use 0000 steel wool after you have applied the galoot mix and wiped it down with a paper towel.  After three iterations of the galoot mix, you will be amazed at the final product.

So get crackin... and show us the "after photo's". 
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 05:37:17 PM »
You guys got me curious now. I'm looking forward to the "after" pictures too.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.