Author Topic: suggestions for home built forge  (Read 2364 times)

Maxx

suggestions for home built forge
« on: December 30, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
Hello, so I am just starting into smithing and am working on getting my forge built. I am going off of some plans from zoellerforge.com, and listed the link below.

http://zoellerforge.com/simplegasforge.html

What I am trying to figure out is this. In the instructions he stacks bricks in front for the face. But since the bucket came with a lid, is there a reason I wouldn't want to cut a hole in the lid and line it with the wool blanket for my opening?

Thanks for the help.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: suggestions for home built forge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
I looked at his presentation, and he says just cutting a hole in the tin lid or bottom even lined with the wool, the intense fire would just burn away the tin.   If one is only dedicated to using small steel stock pieces, one size hole would be okay, but with the fire bricks, one can modify the size opening to what you are working on.   Of course the addition of a door on the back would let you heat the middle of longer stock.  Using the tin lid, even insulated, would not be long lasting, with the 2,000 degree heat boiling out of that opening.   Also accidents happen and if you drop something inside, a couple of bricks can be pulled away to retrieve the lost piece.  Do not have a gas forge but worked around quite a few at Hammer-Ins.  They work well, and heat quickly, but for me are very noisy. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:02:33 PM »
I agree with John about the light weight steel housing, if it was me I'd use a 50lb refer tank, about the same size but thicker metal, if you wanted a little smaller a 30lb would work. Old style propane tanks are out there, be careful cutting into them as gas residue could explode. 
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:48:34 AM »
I agree with John about the light weight steel housing, if it was me I'd use a 50lb refer tank, about the same size but thicker metal, if you wanted a little smaller a 30lb would work. Old style propane tanks are out there, be careful cutting into them as gas residue could explode.

Fill them fully with water first, then drain the tank before cutting.  If it held any oils / solvents / etc.,  you need to do a lot more before cutting.