Author Topic: Old Wooden handled driver, well made  (Read 13393 times)

Offline kxxr

Re: Old Wooden handled driver, well made
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »
kxxr,

"King of the woodies" is high praise...

Just joking around a little :)

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:04 PM »
I thought it was a very funny and well played out joke, thanks for having a sense of humor
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline rusty

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 05:56:46 PM »

I think it is a Champion  screwdriver, which would seem to indicate it was resold by anyone and everyone including sears....

http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,1307981.html#image3
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:46 PM »
rusty,

That Champion driver in your link looks to be a perfect match.  The question now, is who or what is Champion?  rc.moto seemed to indicate that Champion drivers were sold by MORSCO.  Is Champion an OEM or a trade name?

Also if these same drivers were sold by Sears, about when?  I've got lots of old Sears/Craftsman catalogs but having an approximate starting point really speeds the search effort.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:26 AM »
This screwdriver is pictured in my 1916 Motorcycle Riders Supply Company (MORSCO) catalog. Its called a "Champion" and comes in five sizes 2 1/2 to 8 inch (blade length I assume). Same handle pattern and same notched ferrule. Also shown in 1914 Motor-cycle Co-operative Co. catalog. Called "Champion pattern" and only offered in 7 in. overall with a 3 in. blade. Picture shows same notched ferrule but handle pattern is slightly different. No mention of removable or interchangeable blades in either catalog.
Maybe you guys missed this fellas post way back when, he identified it as a champion and has some catalog pages that he is more than kind enough to share with you guys maybe if you asked.
Always looking for what interests me, anything early Dodge Brothers/Graham Brothers trucks ( pre 1932 or so ) and slant six / Super six parts.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »

I saw his post when he posted it.  And I referenced his post in post #18 above.  At this point, I'm just trying to figure out who, or what, Champion is, and a general time frame for when these drivers were sold.  rc.moto's post places these drivers back as far as 1914-1916, but I suspect they were sold for a number of decades after the teens.

Offline rusty

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »
1930: I had in fact forgotten rc.moto's post (sorry guy) , I stumbled across the pic of the Champion  while looking for something else...Yes, I should have reread the entire thread..

However the context is different and adds hints....Putting the two together leads me to a different conclusion than either alone, Mosco probably didn't make them, Champion probably made them at some point and sold them to others, so probably also mosco, 'champion pattern' hints that someone else was also making similar ones.....and the Winchester ones basic similarity but slightly different pattern leads me to believe that more than one company was making that general style also...

Still don't know anything about what is in fact stamped on the OP one tho...

Chas a Strelenger catalog[1896] also shown "the Champion" screw driver, with the notched ferrule.

Sears,1897,P94

EDIT: In my 1897 reprint, it seems to be Pg 80...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:49:42 PM by rusty »

Offline rusty

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 06:18:57 PM »

Just to confuse things even more..;P

The applicable patent is perhaps 214,785, issued to Eli Morris, and assigned in half to John A Peckham [1879]. What is interesting is, they sued each other to recover damages of dissolving their partnership after making 2150 screwdrivers.....

So who got the patent after 1880?...

Patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=4lFSAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2

Summary of case: http://books.google.com/books?id=OUkaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA128

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 07:25:27 PM »

I saw his post when he posted it.  And I referenced his post in post #18 above.  At this point, I'm just trying to figure out who, or what, Champion is, and a general time frame for when these drivers were sold.  rc.moto's post places these drivers back as far as 1914-1916, but I suspect they were sold for a number of decades after the teens.
Sorry for that, He made the post sorta closer to the begginning and I had assumed somehow everyone had missed it since no-one acknowledged it right away.

Here are the scans he was kind enough to send me and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have even though I guess its not exactly what you are looking for at this point.

I also have a great interest in this little guy as I have some as well that I have been tryin ( not very hard addmitedely because there arent enough hours in the day ) to find more info on.

I know they are small and un-clear, blame it on the site hardware I guess, more than happy to e-mail them to anyone that asks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:32:53 PM by 1930 »

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:22 PM »

Do any of your Champion drivers have any writing (even partial) on the handle or shaft? 

Offline 1930

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »
I dont believe so, will look better tomm night when I have some sunlight and will post back with some pictures as well

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
rusty,

1879... wow!  I had no idea this design was that old.  And thanks for the Sears Catalog date and page number.  I will try and see how long Sears sold these drivers.  When I got my driver I looked at it and thought 1920's to 1940's.  Man was I off just a little... 

Offline kxxr

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »
Pages 16 and 17 of the 1923 Winchester Catalog, courtesy of Rose Antiques:

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
kxxr,

Thanks for posting the Winchester catalog pages.  Now I gotta find me one of those Winchester Pocket Screwdrivers... tres kool.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:12:49 PM by lauver »

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 02:53:52 AM »
Talk about addiction! Isn't just the way, in the process of researching one thing we see something else that we have just "gotta" have.  As per another thread focus is very important in tool collecting. The trouble is it just always seems to keeps RE-focusing!!
Graeme