Author Topic: How to sharpen a saw???  (Read 5894 times)

Offline THX1138

How to sharpen a saw???
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to sharpen a saw. Can anyone recommend a good file or other means?

This, btw, is my saw:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HAND+AND+PANEL+SAWS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=15-088&SDesc=20%26quot%3B+Blade+Length+x+12+Points+Per+Inch+SharpTooth%26%23153%3B+Fine+Finish+Saw

Thanks in advance..!

Offline FrankLee

Re: How to sharpen a saw???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Lots of good information on hand saws here: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

I haven't looked there for sharpenening info tho.

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
I think the "SharpTooth™ Saw Technology uses three cutting surfaces" will make sharpening it yourself a little more stressful.  A good slim or extra-slim triangular saw file should be the necessary tool.  Hmmm... Depending on the angle of the teeth, you might need a more acute angle than the 60 degrees of a standard saw file.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
 Several books on carpentry give instructions on filing a saw. H.H. Siegele's book on "Carpenters Tools" has a chapter on saw filing. A.P. Morgan in his book "Woodworking Tools and How To Use Them" also gives instruction in saw filing. One of them says start out on an old saw. Very good advice.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

lzenglish

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:46:28 PM »
Welcome to the site "THX1138". Allot of good info. has already been given above. If you google "hand saw sharpening" in the "Google Video" front page, there is a good one of a guy who has been doing it for 30 plus years. I tried to give you the URL, but it would not work. Try the one titled  "Manually Sharpening a Hand Saw"

Wayne        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OltxTmU3ebk

edit: added url per 1930's fine instuctions! Thanks Jason
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:33:27 AM by lzenglish »

Offline Branson

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
The trouble with a Sharp Tooth is the shape of the teeth, and their special hardening.

This Old House talks about these high-tech saws:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=saw+teeth&view=detail&id=0D41AC2D7D263EA0AD7CD2C8BAEEB7D328157947&first=90&FORM=IDFRIR

"low-friction blade coatings, and heat-hardened teeth to chew through wood faster and longer. But once they're dull, the saw is toast."

The photos show the difference in the toothing.  The crosscut teeth are easily, if tediously sharpened and set.  Use a saw file with its three 60 degree sides and go for it.

The hybrid saw teeth are a different matter.  They are easily broken in setting because of the induction hardening done -- more brittle.
The angles of the teeth are so steep that a saw file won't fit (and one wonders if the teeth are too hard for a standard saw file.  In addition to the front and back sides of the teeth, there's the problem of the top of the teeth -- the "third side,"  which would also need to be sharpened.

You might want to contact Stanley to see what they recommend, or if the saw is made to be used until dull, and then replaced rather than sharpened.

On the third hand, as one site says, sharpening saws is a tedious business.  I can, and do, sharpen my own saws, if necessary.  It's a very good skill to have!  But honestly, mostly I do what the old carpenters in the 40s and 50s did -- I take them to a saw sharpener.   

One fellow who inherited his sharpening shop remembered to me that weekends were the hardest work when he was young.   All the contractors brought all their saws to the shop every Friday to be sharpened, and to be picked up early Monday morning. 

Offline stanley62

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
THX1138,

Did you pick a method to sharpen your saw?  I'd like to hear how it turns out.  I bought a saw vise and a sew set with every intention of sharpening a saw just to say I have done it, but it is on the stack of projects at the end of the work bench and will probably never get done.

I did run across a pamphlet put out by Disston (I believe in the late 40's) on "How to do" many things, one of them being sharpen a saw.  I'll try to get it scanned and post it.  Glad I found it when I did, the silverfish in the garage had started making a meal out of the cover!

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:56 AM »
Pete Taran (the creator of the IT saw that Lie-Neilsen still makes)
Had maybe the first good website on vintage saws.
His sharpening instructions are maybe the best.
http://www.vintagesaws.com/
look in the library
 http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=main&right=/library/library.html

For practical pointers?? In a word .........LIGHT !!!
 Pour on copious light. I usually use 2, 100 watt gooseneck lamps pointed directly above the work from 2 sides.
 Get some magnifying glasses unless you are 17 years old.
 You can't file what you can't see!!   

Practice does it. You will screw up first time, don't use your best saw.
But you will not believe how sharp a sharp saw is!!
 Nothing that ever came out of a factory, nothing you pay a saw service to do.
 NOTHING is as sharp as a saw you did yourself.
  Its outright freaky. 3-4 strokes through a 2X4.   Ripping 2" per stroke in 1by material.   Fast!!

Sharpen, then set, then go back over the teeth with a light hand, paying particular attention to the tips of the teeth.
    YowZa!!
   yours Scott