Author Topic: The Oily Shop Project  (Read 94921 times)

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: The Oily Shop Project
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
I thought that this might interest you Oily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Wholesale-Hickory-Hammer-Handles-Claw-Blacksmith-Ball-Pein-Machinist-Hatchet-/120845766872?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c22f810d8

I'd say I need them - and several others :)  I grabbed a 36" at BigBoxHardware tonight for the 16lb double face sledge find that I cleaned up.  I look forward to seeing most of those heads found in the last week getting new handles - especially the pein hammers which I have few of.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
Day 8 - I arrived this morning to a small pond in front of the shop.  A storm/front has been moving through for a couple days and has dropped a good bit of rain - so much in fact that I literally saw fish in the drive at the shop as I pulled up.  Apparently there was enough rainfall to overflow the pond, and the shop area was littered with very small white perch.  As much mess as there was outside, it was nice to see the shop had weathered the storm inside without taking on water. 

Today was a much better day for me physically and progress at the shop was evidence.  I was able to get the vise area clean, the old bolt bin area cleared and torn out, a couple dozen old tires out, and the valve grinding area hit with a first pass.  I couldn't help myself but to dive into tools getting the sockets and wrenches sorted down to another layer.    I was also able to go through the plastic bin where I had been collecting screwdrivers, files, punches, chisels, hex, and drill bits and get it sorted down another level.   So now I have a few piles of pure drivers, pure files, pure punches, etc.  Not sure why I did not do this from the start.  Bad idea and created work looking back.  I often feel like I'm losing traction for moving things around.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have on the managing the huge pile of drill bits; specifically on how I might be able to size them more quickly than trying to read lettering on each bit.  I've managed to find about 5 old metal drill bit cases I'd like to refill.  Also any guidance on eyeing a quality bit over a crap one?

Pictures taken today may be found via the following link:  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday8

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
Boy! Im enjoying the photos, the work your putting in is tremenous. We all like work, just glad your doing it! Keep it up!especially the photos.
BTW photo 15 "no idea" are hinge clips for joining flat drive belting (haven seen any around yet?).
Graeme

Offline rusty

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »
>... huge pile of drill bits; specifically on how I might be able to size them more quickly than trying to read lettering on each bit.  I've managed to find about 5 old metal drill bit cases I'd like to refill.  Also any guidance on eyeing a quality bit over a crap one?

The first problem is they are bouncing around in a box(s). Which means it's a virtual certancy they are all dull, as the tips have beem banging into other hardened steel drill bits...(drills are edge tools like files, they need to be stored properly)

I would be inclined to stick them all in a box until you are bored/need a drill bit and are willing to do some sharpening..

The answer to the second question is the answer to the third. Good quality steel drill boxes have holes accurate enough to size drill bits, just put the bits in the smallest hole they fit in and they will be in the right place, assuming the cases haven't been abused/worn out...

As to quality, given the probable age of the shop, I doubt there are any chinese ones in there, that leaves the question of carbon steel or alloy. Sorry, there is no way to tell if it's not marked on the drill (keep the ones marked HSS)....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:24:08 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
I was wrong on the belt lacing. It's not Clipper, it is Alligator. No special tools needed.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
I was wrong on the belt lacing. It's not Clipper, it is Alligator. No special tools needed.

So you would cut this stock to length (width of belt) and hammer into belt to crimp?

I do believe (based on pic you attached) I found a flat belt cutter.  I'll try to remember to grab pictures next time over.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:26:18 PM by OilyRascal »

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 07:44:23 PM »
That's how it's done. Just don't pound it like they show in the pic. When you put in the first one, assemble the second lace AND the pin before you hammer the first lace in place. With just the pin in it, you have a wrassling match trying to get the pin AND the lace in.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
Day 9 - I stopped on my way to the shop this morning to grab a bag of ice at the local watering hole.  I see my great uncle (gpa's brother on the shop side) while I'm in the store.  He is the only remaining sibling of 13 total.  We chatted for a while about "what's going on down there".  He asked me about an old dodge truck saying he'd like to have the motor.  So, I enlist some help from a cousin and drag the thing down there - it's only about a 1/4 mile down the road.  He tries to give me money for it and, of course, I refuse.  So he asked me "would you take a couple old wrenches I won't use?".  I say to him, "YES, uncle RV.  I rather enjoy collecting various tools".  He takes me into his shop and drags out a 36" Ridgid pipe wrench, a 18" Williams superjustable (see pic album), a handle-less sledge with that same horseshoe emblem of the hammer I found in the garden, and several huge (e.g. 2-1/2) "structure wrenches" that, as it turns out, were Williams.  A good part of my day was consumed with getting that truck over to him, but rewarded 100 fold in beauty's I know were my great uncles.  As a note, at one point he actually said to me "I figure you could cut that wrench in half and it won't be so heavy and you could put a cheater pipe on it better"......regarding the 36" pipe wrench.  :)   thinking to self why of course I'll cut a $60 pipe wrench in half.

I did make headway at the shop - mostly outside.  I was able to get more of the slab around outside the bay doors cleared.  It was a costly task as it is a drain/basin area and had filled with a mixture of bolts, nuts, rods, and hardened oil.  As suspected the basin drain is plugged.

As stated in the thread regarding the cable cutter I was able to get it free and moving.  I'm not proud of some of my risky techniques in getting in "unfrozen" but fortunately it worked out for me in the end without damage to the tool (or me).

I fired up the oil burner stove today after cleaning it out - packed it full of old dry rotted welding leads - and lit a fire.  I'm guessing the 8 x 100' welding leads will yield a good bit in copper crap - hopefully enough in the end to buy ONE new set of leads.

Lastly - spent some time on sorting through sockets and found (generally) most common "automotive" tools were Williams - larger Proto and Snap-on.  I found a 2-1/2 and 2-1/4" Snap-On in 1" drive to compliment where the Proto set stopped.  It looks like I'll be able to reassemble complete sets of 1/2" drive Williams (shallow and deep), Armstrong (shallow), and Blackhawk (shallow).  Also found nearly complete set of 8-point impact in Proto 1/2 drive. 

It was a lot of fun to have some "tool time" and neglect the cleanup.  Pictures taken today may be found via the following link:  http://www.photobucket.com/oilyshopday9

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »
I'm enjoying the progress reports and looks like you are making good progress.
1959 Chrysler New Yorker
1982 E150 Ford van

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
A small tubby of vinegar might save a lot of wire brushing, especially with the sockets. Just don't forget to take them out after a few days. About six months ago, someone posted a glass bread pan that was forgotten for weeks with a tool in it. It looked like one of those science experiments that are sometimes found in the back of the refrigerator.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
Day 10 - As the day ended and I started my usual picture taking round my camera abruptly stated "Battery Exhausted"....so only a couple of pictures today.  I can summarize the day with a simple "my 20' trailer can now sleep inside the locked shop at night with goodies that are coming home with me someday soon".  I have some sense of accomplishment that I'm able to get it inside, and that I no longer need it for bulk 6-8k lb. scrap loads.  Coming home are:

The drill press - Craftsman Commercial - unknown year/model  There is a smaller drill press in the shop already, and I want to bring the big drill press back into the shop that was there when I was a child (a flat belt driven press from the 20s).  I'm told the old press is on the property somewhere.  I'm not sure where the switch-a-roo came from with the drill presses - but apparently somebody had some issue with the big one and threw it out the door for a Craftsman (it works right now) model.  I need a larger drill press at home and the Craftsman is a good size  It has had the shivs removed (although I found the originals) and some replacement shivs sitting on top of it (not installed).  So I need to try to understand what the issue was with the original shivs and setup.  I hate to change them to another size as there are clear RPM guidelines stamped on the side for the various shiv arrangements.

The Miller welding machine - There are three 220v welding machines in the shop; the Miller and two Lincolns.  I've decided to take the Miller home because....well, frankly I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Miller spending nearly a grand.....so it's a great deal for me - except - I'm told the last known information was that the rectifier didn't work.  At least one cable is missing.  My plan is to take it to the local welding supply place and see if they can diagnose/service the thing.  I have no idea what kind of money I might need to sink into it.  I"m hoping they can give me an estimate for a nominal fee.  Decision from there.  I ashamed to say I just don't know my welding machines that well.  I'm guessing there is no "exciting" a 220v as you would with a generator version - but I don't know.

The air compressor - It's an IR and it was installed on top of that custom build truck bed (previously pictured) on top of the late 70s Ford 1 ton.  Somebody has made there way to remove the 9hp gasoline briggs (I found it in the corner of the shop).  I suppose the plan was to install an electric motor as there is one there that makes sense with mounting plate and HP.  I want the gasoline engine back on it - with hopes of someday having it on that bed again with the old Lincoln welder beside it, and bottles for the torch, with THE BED ON THE TRUCK.....as it should be dang-it.  Why somebody raped the truck by taking the bed off - stripping the equipment - tearing it apart - throw it in the mud - let the tool trays sit with a $1200 socket set bathed in water and rust.......it would be very easy to get frustrated with this nonsense if I had "skin in the game".  I'm certain my Papaw has been rolling in his grave.

The Craftsman Commercial metal bandsaw.  The bottom line is nobody in the family wants the thing and my uncle is being insistent on it being out of the shop.....so it comes home with me.  It's a nice and heavy old belt driven bandsaw on a homemade angle iron stand.  I'm told the belt likes to jump.  I'm guessing I can fix that issue pretty easily.

A small tubby of vinegar might save a lot of wire brushing, especially with the sockets. Just don't forget to take them out after a few days. About six months ago, someone posted a glass bread pan that was forgotten for weeks with a tool in it. It looked like one of those science experiments that are sometimes found in the back of the refrigerator.

I've been putting off "going to town" for several days now knowing I need large quantity of vinegar.  I just love living in the country where I need to make a special $25 in gasoline trip for $8 in vinegar.

I'm enjoying the progress reports and looks like you are making good progress.

Thanks, Fins/413.  It takes a good bit of effort to photograph and document daily (when I'm already exhausted) and it's nice to hear you're enjoying it.....makes it all worth while.

Offline rusty

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
>I just love living in the country where I need to make a special $25 in gasoline trip for $8 in vinegar.

Once drove an hour to pick up a 10c lock washer....*no one* had one...sigh

Ditto on the photos, they are a lot of fun :)))

>Drill press...the issue was with the original shivs and setup
What you may find if you look on the rpm tags is that the slowest speed isn't very slow, common problem with those, when you want to drill heavy material you want slower speeds, But, the poor thing doesn't turn slow because it is not designed for high torque....

>I'm told the last known information was that the rectifier didn't work

Easy fix, it only has 6 parts in it ;P

>IR ... I want the gasoline engine back on it -
Yes, absolutly, it has special unloaders for the gas engine, using it with an electric motor is a waste....
And portable air power is a sweet thing....
You need the throttle controller tho, they probably lost that somewhere in the shop splitting them up...

>Band saw...I'm told the belt likes to jump.  I'm guessing I can fix that issue pretty easily
The motor is out of line, 10 minutes with a wrench and a decent square....
The old power bandsaws are slow, but they make nice clean straight cuts...

Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
You know Oily, that you keep mentioning this other shop of yours, and you're filling it up with all this nice heavy iron, pretty soon there will be people wanting pics, The Big Clean Out in Living COLOR!   At least you're getting something of your grandpas, and with the know how to work it and care for it.  After my relatives got through with my grandpas farm, I got an axe, a douible bit Plomb, period.  Really enjoy the work you're doing,  enjoy it even more sitting here of an evening with my boots off. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
You know Oily, that you keep mentioning this other shop of yours, and you're filling it up with all this nice heavy iron, pretty soon there will be people wanting pics, The Big Clean Out in Living COLOR!   At least you're getting something of your grandpas, and with the know how to work it and care for it.  After my relatives got through with my grandpas farm, I got an axe, a douible bit Plomb, period.  Really enjoy the work you're doing,  enjoy it even more sitting here of an evening with my boots off. 

I don't have much for workspace at my place.  The first is a 20x20 block wall "garage" with two 8' doors.  Not once have I ever parked a running automobile in it.  This is my workshop and the farmall coming back together has consumed most of it for to long.  The other building is an old block wall barn with nice loft area.  It doesn't have a slab so the best you can say for it is that it keeps things out of the weather that need to be out of the weather.  The 3610 consumes it for the most part.

I've tried hard to involve all the family as I've gone through this process at the shop....particularly my dad trying to be an advocate for his having things of his father's.  I think my dad's simple view on life is that he already has enough crap at home and projects for his age....and doesn't want more.  My uncle is, of course, tickled to death to see a shop coming together that can be used -  with little interest for old tools he'll never use piled up everywhere.  I've not so much as thought of taking anything home without getting past that generation first.....sadly I've not seen a bite on a single thing...wait, I take that back my dad snagged a Starrett micrometer set he could carry off in his hands.  My uncle wanted two huge old jacks, drill press, and shop IR air compressor to stay.  I need to haul stuff off on trailers.....only because I can't stand by and see this stuff wasted to a scrap yard or taken off by someone headed that way.