Author Topic: Farm Implement wrench collectors  (Read 4156 times)

Offline rustcollector

Farm Implement wrench collectors
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »
Seeing as how we are deep into, and possibly even on the downside, of this whole social media thing I started a group on facebook strictly for collectors of farm implement wrench collectors. Mainly just for pictures and bragging about the wrenches we've got. I'm not doing it to take away from Papa and this excellent forum, more to see how many implement wrench collectors use facebook and want to brag up their collections. It is a closed group because I want to stay away from anything other than implement wrenches, but I hope to see some from here on there also.

Here is a link if any here are interested....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/implementwrench/

Offline Carl Wagner

Re: Farm Implement wrench collectors
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »
Great place to go. And I like to brag on my super whompus amazing wonderful awesome collection of ultra rare farm wrenchs that I hoard aaaaall to myself :) Just kidding
Life is hard. Its harder if your stupid.- John Wayne

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »
Seeing as how we are deep into, and possibly even on the downside, of this whole social media thing..................

Doubtful - I've just released my social watch technology to the public :)
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »
I was at the MVWC meeting in Baraboo last month and from what I could tell,  most of the members  don't use computers, Internet or any of that newfangled stuff. Only a few new what Papaws Wrench was. I think that you will miss most of the older collectors with Facebook.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:23:49 AM »
I was at the MVWC meeting in Baraboo last month and from what I could tell,  most of the members  don't use computers, Internet or any of that newfangled stuff. Only a few new what Papaws Wrench was. I think that you will miss most of the older collectors with Facebook.

This is very true, am I am aware that most of the older collectors do not use computers. However, I am hoping that the younger ones that will still be collecting 20 years down the road will find it and utilize it, without the younger generation getting into it, all we are doing is collecting scrap metal.. It may be sort of cold, but the older generation of collectors is not the future of the hobby, and we need to do everything and anything we can do to keep younger people interested. This is just one small way of doing it.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:13 PM »
It is my wish that more of the older collectors would give Tool Talk a look at least. I bet more of them than we think are using the computer in some way or another, just not as much as we might.
Tool Talk is just the place for them, since it is not a juvenile, flashy, confrontational site, such as some that may scare off an older, perhaps less computer savvy person.
Talk Tool talk up when you meet these guys, and I bet most of them have friends or family members along that are more aware, and they can be influenced to check us out.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
It is my wish that more of the older collectors would give Tool Talk a look at least. I bet more of them than we think are using the computer in some way or another, just not as much as we might.
Tool Talk is just the place for them, since it is not a juvenile, flashy, confrontational site, such as some that may scare off an older, perhaps less computer savvy person.
Talk Tool talk up when you meet these guys, and I bet most of them have friends or family members along that are more aware, and they can be influenced to check us out.
I think Papaw is right. More of these older people use computers more than we think.  Maybe not directly, but I bet their kids look stuff up for them (I do for my Dad). I just think they have never found many places, like ToolTalk, that interest them, so they don't use it as much as most of us do. If you look at some of the antique tractor sites, it appears most of them are older folks. But those are an easy find for them. A factor in the whole thing is the number of true collectors too. Yes, there are hundreds that will keep wrenches if they find them, maybe even seek out a certain make, Ford, Deere, IHC etc..., but the number of us that are completely nuts and actively seek out pretty much any implement wrench we can get our hands on is much lower. I'd bet there are less than couple hundred that are serious implement wrench collectors in the US.

At the auction just this past weekend I was chatting with a fellow that outbid me on a nice McCormick toolbox. The discussion turned to the sales we've seen lately and we both noted that a lot of little museums are selling their stuff in the past year. While it's nice to have sales to go to, it tells me that we are losing a number of people that have shown interest in the old stuff for the past 25+ years. Somehow we need to impress upon the younger generation the importance of preserving these tools and implements, as well as absorbing any bit of knowledge we can get from the old time collectors.

I didn't really mean to sound rude in my post earlier today, but both the old generation and the younger generation are vital parts of the hobby. We probably can't change the habits of the older ones, but we have time to do something about the younger one.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
Free spirits will fly and change flight as they may; young or old.  So far as tools......... the Internet, library, magazine, neighbor, swap meet or flea market conversation, etc. may be used.  I personally appreciate most those lessons learned from hands-on memories with a loved one.  For me there is much more satisfaction, and benefit, in what's known over possessed.  IMO it would be best if the structure of a museum, or the likes of, would preserve the physical.  The work of many will excel over those of the individual EVERY time.

I support establishing as many venues as will be leveraged in sharing the knowledge.  I appreciate them all, and view the various channels analogous to why we have Oreos, double stuffed Oreos, Vanilla Oreos, Lemon, etc.  We don't all like the same flavor/style; nor must we.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
 Are there really lemon Oreo's ?
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
Sounds like a quick way to get heartburn.
RooK E

Offline rusty

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
> Are there really lemon Oreo's ?

Yup, lemon, lemon twist, lemon meringue.

In china you can get green Tea flavored ones also...
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.