Author Topic: Early Craftsman Pipe Threading Set  (Read 6500 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Early Craftsman Pipe Threading Set
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »
I'm seeking information on this Craftsman pipe threading set.  The information I'm seeking is more specifically; who made it (my hunch is Reed), in what time frame it was made (my hunch is between 1923 and 1939), and the type of thread it would render (NPT?).

The earliest Craftsman pipe threading reference I've found was in a Craftsman catalog dated 1939.  1939 does list several pipe threading sets - all of which would appear to me as newer types (round dies and square dies).  I would like to better understand if this assumption of being pre-1939 is correct.  The patent markings (1656596) date to an issuance of 1923.

I would also like to confirm the holder/handle that would have been original to this set.  I'm inclined to believe it is one where a square bolt is used to lock the dies in place (by nature of the wrench included).  Also note the wrench itself in the case you might come across it and struggle with it's purpose.  The wrench is NOT marked.

I'm assuming the 1/2" die set is the set that is missing given the 1/4", 3/4", and 1" set being present.  I would like to be able to confirm this is the case.

Lastly, I'm curious as to why the inclusion of the square shaped die.  It just doesn't make sense to me in the context of this set.

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline rusty

Re: Early Craftsman Pipe Threading Set
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
That patent, and in fact, half a dozen in sequence are assigned to Reed, so it seems like a decent hunch, tho they could have licenced it to a third party I suppose.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the square die is 1/4 or 3/8 and not tapered, it would be for threading the hanger rods.

NB: Patent issuedate is in 1928, not 1923...

J.B.Merrifield was also the inventor of one of Reed's pipe vises (1490674) , a strange pipe threading handle (1593092) , and the classic pipe cutter (1679225)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
Thank you, Rusty!  Helpful as always.  I've found the 1/2 replacements......digging into Reed deeper....more to come.

Appreciate you keeping me honest on the patent date.

Do you mind explaining the "hanger rods"?  Pipe hangers?

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
>the "hanger rods"?  Pipe hangers?

Threaded rod for hanging pipe from ceilings and beams.

However, I just came across another set that had square dies in it, that said they were for threading small brass tubeing for fixtures., hmm....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 03:52:48 AM »
That is a beautiful set for it's age...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
That craftsman logo, with the underline, is on some 1/2" sockets I got while buying an SK set a month or 2 ago. The logo dates to 1934-1944 on the sockets.

I agree that the square die is easier for straight thread. NPT threads have to be adjustable, even today cast iron fittings threads can run deep or shallow. We even set our landis heads up based on fitting rather than spec.

Before the use of all thread rod ?~1970's? All pipe was hung by rod that was cut and threaded on site, or bent to wrap with eyes to run lags through.  We still have to use hand threaded rod on some jobs.  In a commercial food facility you cant have extra threads to catch dust on.  The atr gets a sleeve or the rod is threaded to length on site.

Now the threaded rod we get isn't even cut threaded, they run it through a machine that rolls the threads on.

The smallest rod we use for hanging sprinkler pipe is 3/8".  1/4" is for sissies, like my electrician son. (j/k)

I would think the missing dies are 1/2" also.  Probably in the die head.  You can be certain by measuring the dimension across the short side.  Note that it is different for each size.

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 02:55:06 AM »
Did you find the holder/handle for your set? or is it part of a machine setup?

"I would also like to confirm the holder/handle that would have been original to this set.  I'm inclined to believe it is one where a square bolt is used to lock the dies in place (by nature of the wrench included).  Also note the wrench itself in the case you might come across it and struggle with it's purpose.  The wrench is NOT marked."
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
Did you find the holder/handle for your set? or is it part of a machine setup?

I have not acquired the holder or handle, although I do believe I have seen two via Ebay sales (just didn't care to pay their price).

Appreciate all the responses, it helps!