Author Topic: Another little vise...a Prentiss this time  (Read 4836 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Another little vise...a Prentiss this time
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
This is a very small vise, just 6 in. long and having jaws that are 1 3/4 in. wide and a maximum opening of 1 3/4 in.   It was patented on Feb. 6, 1871(no. 187,131) by James F. Hall and Elbert P. Cook of Havana NY.  The patent was for the spring loaded plunger on the side that could engage different holes in the swivel base to lock the vise securely in position.  The patent date is stamped on the top of the plunger.

When I bought this I had noticed the pin that stuck up in front of the anvil pad but didn't pay too much attention to it since it seemed to be frozen in place.  When I got it out to clean it I decided the pin needed to come out.  After a little persuasion with a brass hammer it loosened enough so I could withdraw it with my fingers.  It turns out that the rear jaw is now free to swivel so that an irregular workpiece may be held more securely. 

In addition, the anvil pad is threaded on the bottom so that it may be removed.  I assume so that in the event of damage, a new one could be ordered from the factory.

One of the things that had caught my eye was the nickel plating on all parts of the vise.  My guess would be that these would have been marketed to jewelers.  I'm sure it added substantially to the price.

Apparently the swiveling rear jaw was also available on the larger vises, although I have never seen another Prentiss vise.  I'm curious when they went out of business.

Mike

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:43:29 PM by mikeswrenches »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
Re: Another little vise...a Prentiss this time
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
very nice!!
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »
Mike, nice vise !   No wonder I have trouble finding the small guys !
I would have a hard time parting with that one.

That vise is "very" similar to a Prentiss 19 1/2 .
Here's a pic, no scale to show the size, but it weights 46 lbs as I remember.

Brian

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:33:45 AM »
Thanks Brian!  If you're coming to Flywheelers in Jan. I have a couple more unusual vises I'm bringing.  One is an L.S. Starrett patent no. 1,012,226 mfg. By Athol and the other is a Stephens patent no. 42,236 with the side lever.  I think both are 3 1/2 in.

Look forward to seeing you.

Mike

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
Killer vise!! A knockout.
  At this size though, its too big for most jewelers. I am going to go with clockmaker or most likely of all, considering the nickel? Dentist. Or at least dental lab.
  Dentists had pretty cool gear.
     yours Scott

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »
I had never really given the dental trade any thought when contemplating usage of these small vises, but it certainly makes sense.  Thanks Scott!

Mike

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
I think that 1-3/4" is a good size for a jewelers bench vise, on the small end though.  Smaller than that wouldn't be very useful.  On my jewelers bench, my most used vise is a 3". The quality vises in Rio's catalog are ~2-1/2" - 3-1/2". They have a popular cheap vise made in India that is 1-1/2".

Most jewelers were silversmiths or goldsmiths and would work in all kinds of sizes of work.

Dental work and jewelry work use a lot of the same tools. So does silversmithing and blacksmithing.  You can't mix the tools up though. If I use a file once on steel, it can never be used on precious metals. A little bit of steel gets in your pickle and instead of cleaning off oxides, it starts to plate everything with copper.

Chilly

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
I read the description wrong. I thought it was 3 1/4,.........
      but 1 3/4"???
Oh man, I am dying 22 times more now!
        1 3/4???
 Oh I am in love!! Yikes I am totally in love.

Keep Ralph away from that vise!! I want it BAD!!! heehehe
       yours Scott

Offline DM11

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:22:04 PM »
Another cool vise!
Hold Fast

David