Author Topic: Neat small plane, rope pull? Stamped 1910  (Read 5883 times)

Offline wrenchguy

• I like odd old stuff, especially mechanical.
    • Wrenchguys videos
Neat small plane, rope pull? Stamped 1910
« on: September 15, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »
What kind or group of planes might this common too?  Its 1 7/16" wide with wood sides, I figure 4 making 1 7/16 grooves, but don't know 4 sure.  Looks to have owners name stamped into it.  Maybe pulled by a helper with a line attached?  Thanks 4 looking.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Neat small plane, rope pull? Stamped 1910
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
I believe it is a coach builders rabbet plane, although of a pattern I've not seen before.  The small hole on the end is probably a 'hang' hole.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
What a classic looking plane.  I'd like to try to build a miniature version.   Ralph

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

Its a beauty!!
    This one is handbuilt!! Custom design. I never saw another.

In years past tool collectors would have turned their noses up at a beautiful plane like this. Everybody wanted factory work only, nothing else.  Nearly every collector in the country wanted nothing more than factory work and the tools were judged harshly on the amount of original paint left on it. Many still do but its changing.

100% factory paint = big bucks
     80% paint =1/3 the value.
    60% paint, nearly zero value.

But that is changing fast as I write. More and more collectors are finally going after the hand made tools. Tool that have class, and this one is ooozing with it.
    yours Scott

Offline wrenchguy

• Wrenchguys videos
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:39:19 PM »

Its a beauty!!

In years past tool collectors would have turned their noses up at a beautiful plane like this. Everybody wanted factory work only, nothing else.  Nearly every collector in the country wanted nothing more than factory work and the tools were judged harshly on the amount of original paint left on it. Many still do but its changing.

But that is changing fast as I write. More and more collectors are finally going after the hand made tools. Tool that have class, and this one is ooozing with it.
    yours Scott

Thanks scott, But what about the castings, "shirley" these weren't homemade/handmade. Is that the owners name stamp on makers name? I haven't had time to take it apart, i wonder if its tiny little cutter might be marked.

Is there a online spot where one can look at pages and pages of old planes?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:43:35 PM by wrenchguy »

Offline HeelSpur

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
RooK E

Online Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
Thanks scott, But what about the castings, "shirley" these weren't homemade/handmade.
Don't be so sure.  I've seen pictures of patternmaker's planes that used that kind of foxtail rear handle; patternmakers made a lot of their own planes.  They'd make up the pattern on their own, and talk the guys in the foundry into casting them, then clean them up.

The hole in the handle's way to small for a rope pull, and the plane itself small enough that one person can push it.  Could be just decorative, or, yes, a hole to hang it up by.

Still waiting, me, to find an old patternmaker's toolkit at a yard sale...

Offline JessEm

• MinneSNOWta
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:29:48 PM »

Its a beauty!! ...

...In years past tool collectors would have turned their noses up at a beautiful plane like this. Everybody wanted factory work only, nothing else. ... More and more collectors are finally going after the hand made tools. Tool that have class, and this one is ooozing with it.

I concur, scottg. However, when I started "collecting" woodworking tools 11 years ago (collecting in quotes because I was a casual collector at best) I sought the earliest tools most. The more primitive the better. The desire for factory tools that I encountered in the tool market always made me feel like a bit of an oddball collector. ... I would love to have the plane, BTW.
Vintage Power Tools WANTED: Porter Cable 500 belt sander, beam saws (circular saws with 10"+ blades) including Mall Saw 120, Skil 127, Makita 5402A & 8190039, B&D, ETC...

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »
when I started "collecting" woodworking tools 11 years ago The desire for factory tools that I encountered in the tool market always made me feel like a bit of an oddball collector. ... I would love to have the plane, BTW.

OK then, you are as weird as me. heeheheh But then we are hanging out so what is the surprise there?? 

I make parts. I make tool parts. Whatever part you were looking at can be made.
I just never saw that particular construction before. It is, in my experience, a unique frame design. And I look around at tools pretty hard when they turn up.
Its kind of a marriage between metal and wood. And even then, its an unusual marriage from the dozens of other designs. 
 The hole in the front just saves metal when you are casting, I'm sure.
You don't need the weight, and why waste the metal?

For pleasure browsing of pretty tools? Here you go.
  Prepare to quietly die where you sit :)
  http://www.sindelartoolmuseum.com/
  yours Scott

Offline wrenchguy

• Wrenchguys videos
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »
Thanks scott 4 the link.  Its about 70 miles from me and i'll be going there soon.

Back to the plane, i still think the hole is 4 a line to be pulled with.  With that handle and little narrow nub on the front, its hard and awkward to actually remove material. If one was using it on a long run it'b the ticket. I can't believe it was made to inch worm along.  thanks 4 ur comments.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
Planes like this are really for cleaning up rabbits and such. Not meant to take off a lot of material. More, the little corners that make you crazy!

When the handle is raised above the work a lot, that generally means, its meant to reach down into a deep spot.

I can't believe you actually get to go and poke through Johns museum!!  Soo jealous! 
  yours Scott 

Offline Branson

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
Back to the plane, i still think the hole is 4 a line to be pulled with.  With that handle and little narrow nub on the front, its hard and awkward to actually remove material. If one was using it on a long run it'b the ticket. I can't believe it was made to inch worm along.  thanks 4 ur comments.

Mmm... I agree with Scott.  Apprentice planes were usually for cutting real wide moldings, and this rabbet plane doesn't look large enough to warrant an assistant.  As Scott said, such planes are for cleaning up rather than digging up rabbets.  And the handle raised like that makes it particularly useful for reaching down to that deep spot.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 02:22:12 PM »
This could actually be an early and rare patented plane. I don't have Roger Smith's books to check it with.
  It would never make "book price" though, because of its condition.
   yours Scott

Offline wrenchguy

• Wrenchguys videos
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
This could actually be an early and rare patented plane. I don't have Roger Smith's books to check it with.
  It would never make "book price" though, because of its condition.
   yours Scott

I'd rather it be your first thoughts about it below, you r overengineering now!!!!
Thanks.

"Its a beauty!!

But that is changing fast as I write. More and more collectors are finally going after the hand made tools. Tool that have class, and this one is ooozing with it. "
    yours Scott

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Yeah the first is way more likely. I see a lot of one-offs because I look.

But I haven't seen all the rare planes only made for a short time. I get around as much as I can, but nobody sees everything
 yours Scott