Author Topic: Miniature Tools  (Read 164112 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Miniature Tools
« Reply #390 on: July 02, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
Back when I was into model railroading, there was a photo of a shop in Taiwan that built the beautiful brass locomotives, high dollar ones.   The only soldering tool seen was the large electric hand held job with a pointy tip 1/2inch diameter, X 2 inches long.  Seems they could apply tremendous spot heat quickly, and be done before the heat traveled.   I have tried it,  even with wiring, can solder multiple 12 ga. wires,  without having the insulation melt an inch away.   This jack project is coming along quickly.    Just something about brass.   I was wondering if you ever considered building a scale work bench to display your planes and other tools on?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline turnnut

« Reply #391 on: July 02, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »
looking good Art,  I did some looking in the garage and found some jacks. one is shaped like
the one you are working on, but does not ratchet. it has the ? teeth like yours, but you have to set it close to the height and pull the lever down.

there is also a tire saver.  they are supposed to be in a set of 4.
back in the teens and 20's, the folks that did have an automobile would park them in the shed for the winter due to the lack of good roads.  they would put each one of these under the hubcap and
lift the car off of the floor to prevent flat spots on the tires during storage.

if you would like a picture of one, I will click it and have my wife help me put it on here.

your work is truly amazing, good luck with this one. Frank

eye shots have stopped the bleeding, but they have to keep a watch on them. 

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #392 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Hey, couchspring.  Yes, I use a ceramic block to solder on and prevent burning the table underneath.  Some times I use a carbon block (a thoroughly toasted 2x4)  Both are good resistors of heat and do not siphon away critical melting temperature from the parts being joined.  I've heard it said that those who use building strategies / procedures like we do are employing both sides of the brain well.  Who knows?  Sometimes I believe that I don't use either side and things just happen that surprise me with the results.  Muscle memory?  An alternate self at work?  I don't know, but it works for me (sometimes).

Hi, john k.  I wish that I had one of those soldering tools. but don't know of such thing.  I've used a spot welding instrument ( the sort that pinch sheet metal together and deliver a hot electric spark to join the two, and I've seen tiny models that jewelers use to attach earring posts (to the backs of jewelry pieces - not to the ears  :)  ).  But I wonder if a heat iron could deliver 1200 degree temperatures to braze / silver solder heavier parts together.  It sure would make my work easier.

Hi, turnnut.  I'm glad that your eye procedure is behind you now, but the bleeding still sounds critical.  I hope that you recover well and quickly.
I do think that I now have enough information to complete this jack project - slowly as it seems to be going.  Will post some more pics soon.

Ralph

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #393 on: July 03, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
   I was wondering if you ever considered building a scale work bench to display your planes and other tools on?

Well, John, now that you mention it:

See the action video on Youtube:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9XXJ2tUhOU&list=UU-GXI1Wp8qMJcEsSWF5Eu5A&feature=share&index=10

And now I'm thinking about a proper tool box since the tool board and bench can no longer accommodate all my tools.  Ralph
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:21:42 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #394 on: July 03, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
Hey, couchspring.  Yes, I use a ceramic block to solder on and prevent burning the table underneath.  Some times I use a carbon block (a thoroughly toasted 2x4)  Both are good resistors of heat and do not siphon away critical melting temperature from the parts being joined.  I've heard it said that those who use building strategies / procedures like we do are employing both sides of the brain well.  Who knows?  Sometimes I believe that I don't use either side and things just happen that surprise me with the results.  Muscle memory?  An alternate self at work?  I don't know, but it works for me (sometimes).

Hi, john k.  I wish that I had one of those soldering tools. but don't know of such thing.  I've used a spot welding instrument ( the sort that pinch sheet metal together and deliver a hot electric spark to join the two, and I've seen tiny models that jewelers use to attach earring posts (to the backs of jewelry pieces - not to the ears  :)  ).  But I wonder if a heat iron could deliver 1200 degree temperatures to braze / silver solder heavier parts together.  It sure would make my work easier.

Hi, turnnut.  I'm glad that your eye procedure is behind you now, but the bleeding still sounds critical.  I hope that you recover well and quickly.
I do think that I now have enough information to complete this jack project - slowly as it seems to be going.  Will post some more pics soon.

Ralph

Ralph,

Is this jack 1/4 scale?

I have a spot welder. I tried it on sheet copper once out of curiosity.  It didn't do anything. Seems that metal as conductive as the welders points just conducts the power on through. The resistance of steel is key, converting the power to heat and some light. I should try it on stainless steel.  I imagine it would work great because stainless is such a poor conducter of heat. Because of that I assume it is also poor conducter of electricity, a rule of thumb that has a few exceptions.

The regular electric soldering guns don't get hot enough for silver soldering. A soldering iron rated at 65 watts or more will get hot enough to melt silver solders, but still may not work on bigger pieces due to their heat sinking properties. A lot of products are soldered with low temperature solders. I think the term is eutectic metal? If I remember right, eutectic metals are ratios of metals where the combination results in the lowest possible melt point of that group of metals. The alloy doesn't degrade or seperate into its parts when heated.  It goes from solid directly to liquid state. This all results in very low temperature melting. Its the kind of solder used in solder link sprinkler heads. Fire sprinklers have melt temperatures of 135º to 286º normally, with some at 350º to 500º. 

Non structural components can be joined reliably with these low temperature solders.  Technically, what Ralph is doing is brazing. Jewelers and plumbers usually say "silver soldering" instead of brazing. Technically,  solder has a melt point below 842º, while brazing temperatures are above 840º.

The structural difference is evident with copper plumbing fittings. Copper sweat soldered fittings have a big surface area compared to a welded or brazed connection. The join isn't strong and needs a lot of area to withstand the expected water pressures. For fire sprinklers that rating is 200 psi.  When we braze copper tube together the join is small (< 1/4" wide.) The joint is very strong. Generally, the pipe tears before the brazed join when stressed, whereas if you rip apart a soldered join itusually breaks in the solder.

Silver solder comes in different temperatures. Generally used are hard (1365º-1450º),  medium(1275º-1360º), and easy(1240º-1325º).  There is an IT grade and its melt point (1370º-1490º) is closer to that of silver. I think you would only use it on fine (99.999 pure) silver(1740º melt temperature.) Sterling silver (.925 parts out of 1.000) has a lower melt temperature (1640º) than fine. There is also an extra easy solder (1145º-1205º). The higher the temperature, the more silver looking the solder is. Lower temperature gets progressively brassier in appearance. The brassier colors come from zinc, which is the metal most often alloyed with silver in silver solders.

Jewelers plan their fabrication so that higher temperature solder is used first, progressing down to the lower temperatures.  By doing it in that order you help avoid melting previous joins. Often experienced fabricators can use a single grade of solder. If I have been soldering a lot I can get enough control to use a single higher grade consistently. It is easier to do with lower temp solders.

Professional jewelers often use lasers and weld their joins. Kind of like mig welding with a pure silver feed wire. Except the laser (pulses) feeds in small points or drops, heating and adding a small spot of silver rather than a continuous wire.

Chilly 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:25:28 PM by Chillylulu »

Offline rusty

« Reply #395 on: July 03, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
>spot welder. I tried it on sheet copper once ...

Yea, the choices are ugly, water cooled tungston electrodes and a ton of current, or a sandwich of a poor conductor that doesn't bond to copper (ie clean thin sheet steel). The first is mega$$$, the second only works with thin material (the heat is on the wrong side) and makes icky welds..
Welding copper can also drasticly change it's hardness...

The jewlers around here also had a soldering tool that was a two wire resistance heater, it had 2 wires/points close together as a tip, you stuck them to the thing you were soldering, current goes between them through the work and melts the solder..
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #396 on: July 03, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
Welding copper can also drasticly change it's hardness...

The jewelers around here also had a soldering tool that was a two wire resistance heater, it had 2 wires/points close together as a tip, you stuck them to the thing you were soldering, current goes between them through the work and melts the solder..

I think that any kind of heating to 700º-1100º makes copper soft and very malleable. We have a tool that drills a hole in copper tube then pulls up a short (3/16"?) lip up. Another tool notches a 2nd piece of copper to fit the 1st pipes contour. Put them together and braze it up -  basically a free tee. The brazed pipe you could dent by pushing it with your finger. We prefabbed a bunch of them in the shop with 6" legs. They were bent and pointing every which way by the time they hit the jobsite. I thought it would look horrible.  It ended up okay, you could grab the pipe and straighten it out by hand. Easy to push dents out with a 14" pipe wrench handle.  Copper does start to work harden real quick though. I have heard that you can heat harden copper at some temperature. I havent tried it yet. 

I think I've seen some similar soldering machines. Some of them required you to buy their proprietary "points?" or studs. The better ones  you could put a certain guage of wire up next to the point and it would fuse the very end of your wire to the piece. I think one lead clipped to the workpiece and had a handle kind of like cross locking tweezers. The sparking end was in a fixed position under a microscope. They lined everything up while peering in the eyepiece, pressed a foot pedal, and zap - tiny puddle of melted precious metal. A group of zaps fused the join together.  I think they are used to fill any porosity type pits from casting, too.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those welders. Heck, I'd even drive it down to Ralph to see him have a go at it.

Chilly

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #397 on: July 03, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
Thanks, Chilly and rusty.  You have stated very clearly what I've been trying to convey - silver soldering is brazing, and the operating temperatures are up there.  And attention to heat regulation is vital and critical.  Sometimes when I think that I have developed good expertise in the practice, I mess up, and it serves to remind me that high temperature procedures should never be taken lightly.  I am entirely self taught; that means that I've learned all that I know (or think that I know) the hard way - through trial and much error, but am not necessarily aware or all procedures, methods, or materials or lingo of this craft.

Anyway, Chilly, yes I'm still trying to stay with the 1/4 scale, but these jacks varied considerably in size and lifting capacity, as I'm sure you all know.  Some 8" to 16" jacks were used to raise small carriages and cars.  Others as big as 36" (there may even have been some bigger than that) were used to jack up train cars and locomotive engines when they became derailed or needed repair.  The bigger ones were even used to lift up houses and other buildings when they were to be relocated before the time of hydraulic jacks.  So I am building my model to be about 3 inches tall (about the size of a Bic lighter) in the lowered position and to have a lifting range of about 1 1/2 inches. 

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #398 on: July 03, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Beautiful work bench & tools!! amazing work... 
I am not an expert, but are you using a "Heat sink" on areas you don't want to re-melt when you silver solder? any metal clamp/clip that draws the heat away from the location you want to protect...
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #399 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
Thanks, oldtools.  I did unintentionally and unsuccessfully apply a heat sink at one point when I was trying to hold two pieces together for silver solder joining.  I held one piece on to another with needle nose pliers, and the pliers drew so much heat that I had to drop them before the parts or the solder reached melt and flow temperature.  The pieces to be joined need to achieve such high temperatures (1200+ degrees), and the heat sink draws so much heat that either the pieces and solder don't reach that melt and flow temperature, or when they do the heat sink also does and serves no real purpose but to prolong the heating time.  If heat sinks can be used, I need to learn how it is done.   Ralph
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:52:49 PM by Art Rafael »

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #400 on: July 04, 2014, 12:07:25 AM »
Beautiful work bench & tools!! amazing work... 
I am not an expert, but are you using a "Heat sink" on areas you don't want to re-melt when you silver solder? any metal clamp/clip that draws the heat away from the location you want to protect...

Silver is such a great conductor of heat, gold even more so, and copper, while not as good as silver or gold, is still many magnitudes better than most metals.  Heat sinks can be used, but not as effectively as you might think. We tend to think of silver soldering as a process similar to O/A welding of steel, but it is in reality a much different technique. 

When soldering precious and many non-ferrous metals you usually start by heating the whole piece.  If you don't you simply spend more time heating your join longer until everything heats up. Then, when the whole thing is getting hot, just before you get to soldering temperature you focus on the join. If done right the solder flows into the join by capillary action. The solder flows to the heat, so you can kind of push or pull the puddle into the join. Then your whole piece is annealed and you need to pickle it, fabbricate some more or work harden it.

Your work really has to fit together well, silver solder doesn't fill gaps very well. I don't use wire solder for this work very often. I cut sheet solder into tiny pallions, in fact I have pliers that cut a tiny (less thsn 1/8") square from sheet solder. I lay the pallions on or next to my join and solder it. Everything has to be fluxed also. They have a type of flux that you dip the entire piece in. It helps to prevent firescale.

When soldering copper tube you heat one spot at the back of the solder area and feed the wire from the opposite side at the other side of the copper joint.  On small tube, 1/2"- 3/4" and sometimes 1", I dont move my torch to any other point on the fitting.  When the solder flows you are done. Pull the heat off, then remove the solder wire. Let cool a sec and wipe any slop off. 

Most people mess up plumbing soldering by trying to put the solder where the heat is. It takes only a minute or two to sweat a fitting when done properly.  I should add that plumbers usually hate tge way sprinkler fitters sweat copper. They say "you guys do it too hot and use way too much solder." We remind them not to chew their fingernails.

Chilly

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #401 on: July 04, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »
I type on a notepad while burning your eyes with my ramblings here at tool talk and usually and I make many typographical mistakes. Sorry for both the typos and the rambling.

The copper tube connection is at a joint.  Non-ferrous metal workers solder at a join.  No letter "t."  I don't know why. 

My grand daughter calls yellow "yay-yo." I have started to say it like her. I don't know why. But she is so dang cute.

Chilly

Offline oldtools

• Keep OldTools alive by giving them a purpose
« Reply #402 on: July 04, 2014, 03:58:16 AM »
Chilly & Art, Thanks for the replies,  I used a heat Sink when soldering parts, but haven't use them when brazing or silver soldering. Like you said,  need to start from hotter joint to lower heat joint.
Aloha!  the OldTool guy
Master Monkey Wrench Scaler

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #403 on: July 04, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
I think that you are right, oldtools.  I have used heat sinks when soldering electronic equipment to keep from damaging delicate items (chips or transistors). 

Hi, Chilly.  I was too interested in your content to detect any typos.  Of the skills I have, typing is not one; I hunt and peck the keyboard with one finger and often mistype or double strike creating a slew of errors, but hopefully my message gets across.  Yours does.  Some of the more complicated things require thorough explanation, and I appreciate it.  I do believe that I use the correct flux but know little about annealing, tempering, and hardening of metals -- not sure what is possible with nonferrous metals but remember having read somewhere that the Aztecs had known how to do many things that we today do not know including tempering and hardening gold so that it would retain a sharp edge.  One of my greatest difficulties is removing scale and surface burns which detract from the appearance of articles I work with, and have been told that pickling would help with that, but I never do it -- don't know for sure how.  What are your thoughts on those matters?

Ralph

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:03:39 AM by Art Rafael »

Offline Art Rafael

« Reply #404 on: July 04, 2014, 12:59:57 PM »
Sometimes the smallest parts are the most challenging to fabricate.   

The upper pawl consisted of 4 tiny pieces and required 3 soldering operations = 1day's work.   Ralph