Author Topic: One of my oldest tools that I haven’t used yet.  (Read 1935 times)

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
One of my oldest tools that I haven’t used yet.
« on: April 29, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »

Unlike most people on this board, I don’t consider myself much of a tool collector. I buy tools I intend to use. I will admit to having a vast amount of spare ratchets and I like 4” adjustables.

I just found these pictures today and didn’t know I still had them.

My BFF and I went in together to rescue this from the scrap heap. I have since bought out his share.

For a size comparison that is a full-size truck with an 8 foot bed.

Using modern muscle to move it.

Proud owners:

Before it got a used motor oil bath and a tarp:

I still intend to bring her back to life but I don’t know when.

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: One of my oldest tools that I haven’t used yet.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
Darn, that is big!   Table to set it up on will need to be hefty.   Motor to run it will need to be 2 horse?   Have wanted a large lathe, but maybe not that big,   Got plans to use it for something special?
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:27:35 AM »
Darn, that is big!   Table to set it up on will need to be hefty.   Motor to run it will need to be 2 horse?   Have wanted a large lathe, but maybe not that big,   Got plans to use it for something special?

Looks like a minimum 5 horse motor, 3 phase 220, to me.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »
Beautiful lathe!
 Surprisingly I have seen 1hp 3ph motors driving lathes this size. 2hp, single phase 220.
  Even for big work a lathe doesn't require all that much hp. The gears provide the torque.

I have heard it said often that the bigger the lathe the cheaper it is to buy. Not very many people have the room for them and restoration is a very big job.
 I had to leave the mill-o-my-dreams behind for this same reason. When they closed the local sawmill they auctioned off a Bridgeport mill that had to weigh in at 3 tons if it was an ounce.
 It went for scrap price!
  It was so big and 10' tall, not even the sawmill machine shop could hold it, so they had to make a kickout/alcove room off the main building. Looked to me like they poured a slab to set it, and built the room around it.
     yours Scott

Offline fflintstone

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »

Looks like a minimum 5 horse motor, 3 phase 220, to me.

It came with a 6 horse 3ph but that got destroyed in fire # 2.
I have been considering a hoizontal shaft gas engine.
other than turning stumps onto large bowl blanks I am not sure what to use it for.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:44 AM »
other than turning stumps onto large bowl blanks I am not sure what to use it for.

Well, obviously, you need a new passion.  Building your own steam engines from scratch or something similar should do it.

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
I am surprised that your John Deere tractor had the "oomph" to lift it up and move it.
Looks to be over 2' between the ways.
Molon Labe

Offline fflintstone

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
I am surprised that your John Deere tractor had the "oomph" to lift it up and move it.
Looks to be over 2' between the ways.

It had the leverage to lift it out of the pickup bed, but not enough to lift it off the ground. I drug it out of the shop a few years back and then had my neighbor use his case backhoe to move it for me.

I know it is not 2' between the ways. more like 14" or so. it has a 24" swing and it came with the 24" faceplate.