Author Topic: ...Hibernation is about over with  (Read 3395 times)

Offline fflintstone

• Former master curmudgeon
Re: ...Hibernation is about over with
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 05:31:50 AM »
Well boys, find me a big honkin' Baldor and we'll talk trade.....lol

yeah, I didn't think so....

DM&FS

FWIW. I have 3, 1/2 horse block grinders. I paid $50 each for them they are all nice and in no need of restoration.
I had bought a "big honkin Baldor" for $200. it was a slightly better grinder. I bought a big Dayton for $70 equal to the Baldor. I sold the Baldor for $300,  IMO they are 5% better and 6 times the price.

I have never used a 1 hp block grinder, but they run $100 and I assume they are equal to a baldor.

Offline Branson

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »
Wow.  You didn't mention the Barton gouges were crook-necked gouges!   Even better price!

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 02:21:00 AM »
Branson, does the dating of these Bartons get an easier if they are crook-necks??  All three have varying amounts of radius to them and  the widths are slightly different too.  I'm pretty ignorant about such things, i guess.

TIA

DM&FS
Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »
DWM,

Your Crafty U-circle sockets were made by Plomb/Penens ca. 1944-1948. Very nice vintage sockets.  Good score.
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline Branson

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
Branson, does the dating of these Bartons get an easier if they are crook-necks??  All three have varying amounts of radius to them and  the widths are slightly different too.  I'm pretty ignorant about such things, i guess.

DM&FS

The Davistown Museum has a good history of D. R. Barton:

http://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioBarton.html

Yours have the oval mark it looks like.  The Davistown Museum site says:

David R. Barton Tool Co.: 1874 - 1880.
Augers, axes, bits, cooper's tools, edge tools and wooden planes.
Marks: D.R. BARTON / 1832 / ROCHESTER N.Y. (in an oval shape with top and bottom lines curved).

A cabinet maker's paring chisel currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-D-R-BARTON-1-Paring-chisel-Cabinetmaker-/281084593832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4171f286a8

A group of 13 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Vintage-D-A-BARTON-CHISELS-GOUGES-WOOD-WORKING-CARVING-Wellman-handles-/161002115375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257c79512f

Yours have original handles in excellent shape. 

The crook neck design doesn't make them easier to date, but it does make them more valuable.  These are usually described as pattern makers' chisels and are less common. 

I'm gonna sound like Scott here.  30 or 40 years ago, when I started getting woodworking tools, I bought cheap.  Old tools were cheaper than most of us can imagine today.  I got chisels for under a dollar, and some as low as 25 cents.  Bartons and Buck Bros I came to discover,  were among the best -- dependably great steel that took and kept an edge, and stood up to use.   Ditto W. Butcher and L&IJ White.  Now they're "collectable" and usually more than I can afford.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
The Dotco die grinder is the "LEXUS" of grinders-they take a Lickin and still keep ticking-will probably will last your lifetime!
E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!