Author Topic: Tool box wanted  (Read 2615 times)

Offline GreenElectric

• Cheyenne, Wyoming
Tool box wanted
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »
I am a tool collector, mostly small hand tools.  I have been looking for some sort of an older multi-drawer cabinet with many drawers in which to store my collection.  Maybe something similar to an apothecary cabinet or?  Any suggestions?

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
Re: Tool box wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
I collect rulers and measuring tools.  I probably have a dozen different kinds of wood and metal flat drawered cabinets.  Some of the best I have found were library related -- microfiche, card catalog, filmstrip cabinets.  Also warehouse inventory card cabinets are good.  Government and school surplus auctions are good places to find items like that.   Map cabinets are great, but you need a lot of space and plenty of $ to buy them (usually).

The next time I take pictures (later this week or early next week), I will try to take some pictures of my collection and post them in the picture thread so you can get some ideas on cabinets that are out there.

Offline GreenElectric

• Cheyenne, Wyoming
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
Thanks WVTools.  Those are good suggestions.  In fact we have a gov't surplus warehouse here and I will check it out.  I will watch for your pictures.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
I am building a 12 drawer cabinet for displaying wrenches out of an old dorm dresser that I got for nothing.  The drawers are 18 X 36 steel shelves that I cut down and rebent at one end to fit in a 32 inch dresser frame. The drawer slides are K-V cheapies, the ones with two little rollers, that I picked at a thrift store. I used edges of steel shelves for drawer fronts. I'll paint it red and gray like a Craftsman toolbox next summer. I have four drawers done and eight more to build.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:08:37 PM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:42:09 PM »
I am a tool collector, mostly small hand tools.  I have been looking for some sort of an older multi-drawer cabinet with many drawers in which to store my collection.  Maybe something similar to an apothecary cabinet or?  Any suggestions?

GE,

Have you considered a vintage tool cabinet and/or tool chest?  A lot of the older tool cab's/chests have lots of shallow drawers.  And, they were designed to store tools.

But, that's just me thinking inside the box.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:28:25 PM by lauver »
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline GreenElectric

• Cheyenne, Wyoming
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
Thanks for the nice replies. johnsironsanctuary I really like your project. I also like to create things by re-purposing items, so I can really appreciate what you are doing. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:30:03 PM by GreenElectric »

Offline GreenElectric

• Cheyenne, Wyoming
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »
lauver that's a good idea too.  I have a George Scherr brand Gerstner-style box that I got on eBay (please see photo) so maybe I will get a few more as I go.

Offline RedVise

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
Have you considered a vintage tool cabinet and/or tool chest?  A lot of the older tool cab's/chests have lots of shallow drawers.  And, they were designed to store tools.

But, that's just me thinking inside the box.

I agree !!

Green, I keep a Gerstner in our family room with my smalls in it. It was my first restore and is dear to me, and looks cool !   (YMMV!)
Same style as yours, no flip lid. Nice box you have there, start filling it up !

Brian L.