Author Topic: Union "Whatzit" Carpenter Tool Box  (Read 8635 times)

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
Union "Whatzit" Carpenter Tool Box
« on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »
I spent Sunday Through Tuesday in Waterloo visiting a buddy, watching his boys play hockey and playing shinny with the old-timers myself. We also did a few repairs to his place while there to get his wife off his back!

On the way back from the Home Despot for supplies, we passed the local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store & dropped in so I could scout for any tool bargains. There were none, save this cool old tool box ($20) that I bought at least partly because I wanted to know what it was!

I'd heard of Union before, but this is what I found on the InterWeb when I had a look:

Union Steel Chest moved from Rochester NY to LeRoy in 1932. Operation of the company began in 1893 with the manufacture of drafting tables, and later machinists tool chests and specialty cabinets. The manufacture of light formed metal tool and utility chests began in the 1920s. The parent company went into receivership in 1931 and the metal division now owned by three men formerly executives with the Rochester organization came to LeRoy. Union produced steel utility and tool chests until the late 1960s when plastic fishing tackle boxes were introduced. The wooden chests came in three styles and were carried through 1953. The cases were purchased on the outside and "trimmed" in LeRoy. The Company relocated to Chandler AZ in 1973 and closed in 1984. It is difficult to date the wooden chests and it depends on the style of drawer pulls. The man who had the information on the pulls died a few years ago, and as far as I know, did not leave his notes with the dating information.

So, it looks like this thing is from the late 1960s - 1973 at latest...

At first, I thought a carpenter had rigged this box for his hand saws but a closer inspection leads me to believe the saw-holder is factory. That fibre-board bottom is riveted on and the rivets are painted the same colour as the box:

I could see the function of the wooden saw-holders, but I can't figure out the other side:

Those odd holder things inside the box are in line with the two odd holes in the top of the box. I thought it might be for a bow saw, but mine does not quite fit.

The holder things might be clips to hold a level, but, if so, what is the function of the two odd holes at opposite ends of the box?

The lid does not cover the two odd holes in the top. There was never a hand-tote for this box. It is the biggest hand box I have seen at 32"L x 8"W x 9"H.

Someone will recognize this right away!

Kijiji King

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
Re: Union "Whatzit" Carpenter Tool Box
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
SOLVED by the guys at GG...

Level holder & slots for framing squares!

I should have know that as I can recall my grandfather had built his own carpenter box of wood (as all the old-timers seem to have done - and he had incorporated the exact same feature...

Kijiji King

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
Good job @ GG :)

I was pondering square, but couldn't figure out why you would need hooks for a square...duh...you don't

Now..where do you put the mitre box? P:
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
Nothing that nice ever shows up at my ReStore.  If it did, they would put 50.00 on it.  We got a new manager a few years ago, and she overprices everything.  I used to be able to get old hollow core doors to use as flea market tables for 2.00-4.00, sometimes on sale for 1.00.  Now they are all 10.00, and never go on sale for less than 20% off.

Offline Branson

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »
SOLVED by the guys at GG...
Level holder & slots for framing squares!

My Park tool chest has a knockout for a square like this.  Makes me a little queasy since it seems to be an invitation to screw up a square.

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:43:10 AM »
My Park tool chest has a knockout for a square like this.  Makes me a little queasy since it seems to be an invitation to screw up a square.

Can you post a photo of your Park? (Or provide a link to an existing shot?)

I know what you mean about the square, but I guess they needed to be carried somehow and, in truth, I think they could take a pretty good smack and still remain true...

Kijiji King

Offline Branson

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:51 AM »

Can you post a photo of your Park? (Or provide a link to an existing shot?)

I know what you mean about the square, but I guess they needed to be carried somehow and, in truth, I think they could take a pretty good smack and still remain true...

Here are the photos I have right now.  The knockout for the square can't be seen, but it's there, about the same place as one of the Union example.  Mine hasn't been knocked out.  The framing square in front has a 12 inch short leg, which would make me feel safer carrying it sticking up through a slot, but  also makes it fit in a '30s vintage wood carpenters tool box.

Online Bill Houghton

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »
How do you get the square into the box?

Offline lbgradwell

• Oakville, ON
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 03:14:45 PM »
How do you get the square into the box?

There's a bit of a trick, Bill, and it took me a minute to figure it out...

You slide it in horizontally!:

Kijiji King

Online Bill Houghton

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:41 PM »
Ah - of course!  Once you explain it, it's obvious...up until then, it's a complete mystery.  Demonstrating your smarts there.

Offline anglesmith

• Mid Northcoast NSW Australia
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
Thank you for asking that question Bill, and thank you Lbg for solving the mystery. I did puzzle, but couldn't see the answer and wasn't brave enough to ask!
Graeme