Author Topic: Old brace  (Read 2168 times)

Offline WiebeLC

Old brace
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
I think this brace is quite old (early, mid 1800s?) but I'm not sure. There are no markings on it anywhere. I think the set screw has been replaced, it doesn't match the crudeness of the rest of the brace.
Dad picked this up a couple of years ago in southern BC for less than $20. I think that's a good price. Any opinions?

Offline Branson

Re: Old brace
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:57:05 AM »
The earliest of this form of brace dates to the 1700's.  These early ones are often referred to as "gent's braces."  What made them "gent's" braces is the screw detent for the bits -- pros used one or another of quick release mechanisms.

By the mid-1800s they were just easier to make cheaply, and were more common.  The original screw would have been a thumb screw, so yes, yours has been replaced.

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
Most of those brace are British.  I have seen some German ones also. They were also called six penny braces.  I have been told that is what they cost back in the 1800s.  If it has a maker's mark (many do), it will be on the flat round part near the top of the frame directly under the handle.   Trying scrubbing there with a wire brush.

Offline WiebeLC

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:48:42 PM »
If it has a maker's mark (many do), it will be on the flat round part near the top of the frame directly under the handle.   Trying scrubbing there with a wire brush.
I couldn't find any trace of a mark.

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »
From the looks of it could have been blacksmith made.   The surface looks some what rough, are there any hammer marks visible?   $20 wouldn't have been too terrible an outlay for as old as it is.   
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society