Author Topic: Ratchets (with pictures)  (Read 114495 times)

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Ratchets (with pictures)
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2014, 03:57:02 AM »
That IS interesting! A spinner top and bottom?

I have never seen that before "in the wild". In the picture its the first thing that caught my eye.

Do we know if that is common in that brand, or just a limited production or what the deal is?
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
kxxr,

The K-T Japanese made ratchet is unusual and interesting.  The un-knurled handle looks like it may have sported a rubber grip originally.

Yours is the 1st I've ever seen; you may have a rare one there.

How many teeth/clicks?  Does it have a quick release feature?

I like it....
Member of PHARTS - Pefect Handle Admiration, Restoration, and Torturing Society

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »
That IS interesting! A spinner top and bottom?

Papaw,

I suspect the top knurled ring is part of the direction selector; the bottom ring is probably the spinner.

Only kxxr, with a little fiddling, can answer this mystery.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »
I haven't seen the K-T brand ever before. It clicks 40 times around. It could have had a covering over the handle as I did scrape off a bit of glue residue on the very end of the handle. If it did have a cover, it's been gone for a while, judging by the tell tale hammer marks on it. The top knurled ring is indeed the selector.

Offline lauver

• Belton, TX
« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »
kxxr,

I've not seen the K-T brand before either.  It's a cool looking ratchet though.

Offline kxxr

« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
Wow, it's been a while since I have posted a ratchet here. I have picked up quite a few in the past 9 months, but just haven't posted any. I came across this ratchet today after following a link posted by member mvwcnews. There are ratchets far more expensive than Snap On and here is a shot of one, made of titanium. I couldn't find a shot of the other side as of yet. If I do, I'll add it. Near as I can tell, it is made in Spain, but I don't know the company. It would be used where sparkless is required, but is also advertised as a tool for working on MRI machines. The website has many "MRI Safe" tools and they are all very expensive. Here it is, an $830 1/4" drive ratchet.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
Wow, it's been a while since I have posted a ratchet here. I have picked up quite a few in the past 9 months, but just haven't posted any. I came across this ratchet today after following a link posted by member mvwcnews. There are ratchets far more expensive than Snap On and here is a shot of one, made of titanium. I couldn't find a shot of the other side as of yet. If I do, I'll add it. Near as I can tell, it is made in Spain, but I don't know the company. It would be used where sparkless is required, but is also advertised as a tool for working on MRI machines. The website has many "MRI Safe" tools and they are all very expensive. Here it is, an $830 1/4" drive ratchet.

$830 for ONE ratchet? Wow!
Ratchet Guru

Offline BurninBob

« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »
Almost looks  proto/plomb or Armstrong inspired.
Do you have any other pictures of it,kxxr?
Great thread,by the way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:45:10 PM by BurninBob »
Been wrenching as long as I can remember...

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »

A while back I read that Mri tools have to be non magnetic because of a mri machines have powerful magnets.

I can't remeber were I read that or if it's even true. That's just what I heard, but makes sense.

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
Maybe for working directly on MRI's, but mostly the recent ones are a little easier to work around.  There are different strengths that have diffrrent requirements. 

15 yrs ago they had to be in their own room, with thick concrete walls and an entrance that had a 90 degree turn, or two. We piped copper pipe to the fire sprinklers. Then the concrete went away, but the walls were lead lined to 8'-0"  AFF. Now they are everywhere with nothing more than distance and sheetrock..

My experience is from designing fire sprinklers for various magnetic type machines, including an NMR.  It was one of 6 when installed, cost 8 million for the machine only, and the gauss field was so big that they had to design a bump in the exterior buildings brick wall to accomodate it.  The only one we had to use magnetic tools around www the NMR. It the room it was in took 2 floor levels. Tha part where you put whatever you were imaging in was about 1 cubic foot.  Supposedly, if a ferrous tool stuck to this machine, it could hold you stuck between it and it would cost 10 grand to turn it off to get the errant tool off tge NMR.

That bulge in the exterior bricks was only on the first floor of a 12 story building.  They didn't want anyone walking through the gauss field.

Chilly

Because I can't feel I have to get x-rays and MRI's a lot. (If I get bruised and don't know how it got there, for instance.

There have been a lot of improvements to MRI machines. The last MRI I had was last month in November. It was on my right hand so I had to go into the tunnel to a point just below my shoulders. This time I could leave my belt, with a small metal loop buckle, on.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:26:07 PM by Chillylulu »

Offline turnnut

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
go to this site;

http://www.universalmedicalinc.com/

they also have a 1/2" combo for $116.00  or around that price.

Frank

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:32:37 PM by turnnut »

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2014, 04:06:48 PM »
1/4"
Screwball flexhead ratchet with socket rack, USA made

The sockets are Taiwan
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »
go to this site;

http://www.universalmedicalinc.com/

they also have a 1/2" combo for $116.00  or around that price.

Frank

Maybe they figure that's fair,  with hospitals charging $20 for ibuprofin.

Chilly

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2014, 04:24:05 AM »
Kit - Nice writeup on the CMAN speeder ratchet.  Thank you!  Not to derail your thread, but I'm interested (spin-off thread) in seeing more of this Giller socket that appears NB.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline kxxr

« Reply #224 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
I think this may be the second one of these I have gotten, and if so, I probably posted pictures of the other one. We may have a repeat - I don't know, I kind of lost track a while back. Here is a 3/8 drive Indestro USA 6272 that needs a little clean up.