Author Topic: S-K Set 4502-W  (Read 2437 times)

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
S-K Set 4502-W
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
I have a acquired a partial S-K set that I would like to work towards putting back together for my son (who is now 8).  I almost certainly overpaid for it, but it was money going to help an old acquaintance and something I've been wanting to find for my son + a little holiday spirit in me.  I'm new to learning S-K tools and their history.   What I have is a metal box that is crinkle painted a deep green.  It bears a logo on a metal tag attached via rivets.  It had a seemingly complete 1/2" drive set present: sockets from 1-1/16" down to 7/16", ratchet, spinner, breakover, and extensions.  What I know is that is was set number 4502-W; a 32 piece set of 1/4" - 1/2" sq. drives.  It had a $29.34 retail price when new.  The tools have a distinctive knurling at the base.  There was a sales pamphlet present in the bottom of the box that is in very poor condition.  I do believe, from it's illustrations, there were also set boxes for the 1/4" and another for the 3/8" drive that were contained within.

I'm interested in narrowing down the vintage of the tools.  I'm also interested in working to better understand the original contents of the set.  If you have S-K tools of the same vintage I may be able to information share what could be derived about other sets from the sales pamphlet.

"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline chopper1

Re: S-K Set 4502-W
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »
Any chance you could post a pic of the whole box and what was in it?
It may help with some identification.
Mike
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:56 PM »
Still says Sherman Klove, so it's just post war, I believe.

somewhere either here or on GJ there is a thread  about dating SK.

Knurling on the socket base helps date it too.

Real nice find BTW, I doubt you paid too much for it.
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
Any chance you could post a pic of the whole box and what was in it?
It may help with some identification.

Absolutely.  I was awaiting daylight for better pics.

somewhere either here or on GJ there is a thread  about dating SK.

thanks!  I'm still looking.

More Pictures:

The tools that were present in the box when I acquired it.

Offline chopper1

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:42 PM »
I believe that is a 4126 series 1/2 drive set which would include:
Hip roof box
7/16 - 1-1/4 12 pt shallow sockets
5/8 spark plug socket
Ratchet
flex handle w/bar
5" & 10" extensions
universal
7/16 - 13/16 combination wrenches.
Your T-slide and speed wrench were probably added as well as the 3/8 ratchet
Mike
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »
I believe that is a 4126 series 1/2 drive set which would include...................

Two pieces of documentation in the box.  The first was a single tag that appears would be attached to a product.  It states set number 4502-W with a retail price.

The second documentation was a sales pamphlet.  1/2 of the page is missing, but I did find ONE set within the sales information that matches the box; and it is set 4502-W.  It may well be the tools and box are not related to set 4502-W.  However, the documentation does illustrate tools of likeness to those found in the box.  Set 4502-W does illustrate the hip roof box.  Set 4502-W does include all of the S-K tools (by description) found in the box.

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »
Looking for more assistance.  I'm not being lazy, I'm just not finding the data I need.  I believe my clues to establishing a production date for this box include:

1) the metal tag sporting the logo, company name, etc. (versus a paper tag or sticker)
2) the diamond shape of the tag
3) "Sherman-Klove" being present on the metal tag
4) the metal tag being riveted to dead center of the outside front of box (versus to the outside right, inside, or on the lid)
5) the handle on the box being metal (versus leather or wrapped in leather)
6) knurling on the base of the sockets
7) 19/32" and 25/32" sockets present in the set
8) the construct of stampings on the sockets -xxxxx .S-K. Size (where xxxxx is the model number and Size is the actual size of the socket).  Note the two dots on either side of the "S-K" are elevated to a vertical midpoint that is center with the S-K text.  Also note the lack of "S-K Chrome" stamping.  This suggest post 1944 per catalog research.
9) patent number 2232477 stamped on the 1/2" drive ratchet (filed 1939, granted 1941)
10) the 1/2" drive ratchet patented 2232477 lacking a flat forged handle (it is round shank).
11) the finish of the tools being Chrome
12) has recessed grooves on the socket drive end helping sockets stay on drive tool (pre 1955?? can't confirm)
13) all of the sockets being double broached (12-Point)....more notably the 7/16", 1/2", and 9/16" are not 6-point as would be the case starting in 1958 (according to catalog reference).
14) set no. 4205-W with a $29.34 Retail price
15) lack of S-K Wayne stampings on a base knurled socket - suggest pre 1964
16) tapered walls on working end of the sockets

Conclusions so far (please keep me honest where needed):  After 1941 because of #9 clue, post 1945 due to #8, pre 1964 per #15, pre 1958 per #13, pre 1955 per #12 clue.   

That would leave me at somewhere between 1946 and 1954.  Again - looking for any assistance that may be provided.....in particular any S-K catalog references between 1946-1954.

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »
A place for everything and everything on the floor