Author Topic: Wednesday night auction 7 for 7  (Read 5554 times)

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
Re: Wednesday night auction 7 for 7
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »

Wait ......you have 238 drills??

The green Post-Tt (tm) tape carries my sequential number; in other words, this is the 238th electric drill that I have studied in enough detail to be able to get brand, manufacturer, date (if known), general features, power requirements, speed etc., etc., etc. for my collection's documentation.
[/quote]
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline dimwittedmoose51

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »
Thanks Ron!!!

DM&FS

Champion Pawn/Flea Plunderer
Old Tools and Music.....My drugs of choice

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »
(SkipSkip)    Wait ......you have 238 drills??

Well, not exactly - I have cataloged around 260 of them so far, and still have enough more to "coast" to maybe 280.  I have also cataloged roughly the same number of "conversion tools" [for those who haven't seen my description, this is what I call devices which turn a drill into something that doesn't merely bore holes.  These include an incredible variety, with hedge trimmers, circular-, saber-, hole-, reciprocating-, hack-, and band-saws, fish scalers, floor buffers, lathes and well over 100 other types known: I have generated a long list!].  I have enough more items in this group to surpass 300, easy.  That's how I started down the slippery slope; I started buying cheap drills, thinking that I'd simply leave one attached to each conversion tool that I collected, making it easy to demonstrate how it worked, or to actually USE it.  At a dollar or two, drills weren't going to break the bank.  I'm STILL finding them at very low-buck prices; everyone else wants double-insulated and/or cordless drills.  But yes, I have well over 238 drills.

Speaking of conversion tools: I saw another one that wasn't on my list JUST THIS MORNING on Ask This Old House, episode 1110.  It's one of a pair of plumbing tools, one to de-bur and polish the cut ends of water or gas pipe, and another to crimp on a special fitting with O-rings, eliminating the need for pipe threading, pipe dope or Teflon tape, and saving time for professional plumbers.  The deburring tool was clearly drill-powered, and  I think that the crimper was, too.  My list of conversion tools known to have been patented or made [TYPES, not models, brands, etc.] is up around 120, and  haven't added this (or these) so far.

The reason that I haven't given exact counts on the three lists mentioned (drills in my collection, conversion tools, I own, and conversion tool types) is that my old computer died a month or so ago, and I haven't gotten my replacement one, with the files on the hard drive transferred over.  The old hard drive, and the new computer, are at my son's house, while I work from a backup computer, with only earlier copies of those files on a USB drive here.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!