Author Topic: No 12 veneer scraper  (Read 5900 times)

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
No 12 veneer scraper
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
 Got this scraper at auction last week. Blade is not marked. Has (B) casting mark on base. Neither Walters nor Leach mention this casting mark. Anyone know what vintage scraper carried this mark ?
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Branson

Re: No 12 veneer scraper
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:02:02 AM »
The Stanley #12 veneer scraper was made from 1870 to 1947.  Initially, the blades were 3" wide, but from 1925 until the end of production, the blades were 2 7/8" wide.

The blades are smooth on one end, for scraping, and toothed at the other end for grounding in preparation for gluing.

Offline stanley62

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »
Not a bad find...  I know it is one that I don't have.

Jim
Always looking for Stanley planes and parts, Mossberg and Plomb wrenches.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
The blades are smooth on one end, for scraping, and toothed at the other end for grounding in preparation for gluing.
Man would I love to find some toothed blades!! Never even saw one.
But I do have 2 of these scrapers I love.
 One is a standard Stanley #12 but someone drilled holes in it and added sole pieces of lignum vitae wood. Pretty standard. The Stanley 12 1/2 had a rosewood sole, but its marked 12 1/2. 
 Lignum is a magnitude harder than rosewood and also has natural oils making it outright slippery.

The other one, a rare Ohio O12,  also has a lignum sole, but the previous owner was an expert machinist and actually dovetailed the sole into the iron frame with long front to back dovetails!  Never saw anything like it.
 I especially love them because both were done by real experts. So they work fantastic.
  But doing so totally ruined the Stanley collector value.
 The "factory collectors" (as I call them) want original mint, and anything else is worthless to them.     
 So I get 2 fantastic scrapers for 10 cents on the collector dollar!!

I used to have a screaming mint, standard #12.
  But when I got the others I sold that thing in a heartbeat!  It was after all, merely stock,
 nothing to me.
  yours Scott