Author Topic: B.F.Avery & Pratt & Whitney Co Boiler Ratchet Drill #1  (Read 4033 times)

Offline thetopman

B.F.Avery & Pratt & Whitney Co Boiler Ratchet Drill #1
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:19:02 PM »
Here are a couple of old tools that were in one of the old boxes of tools from the old man. B.F.Avery & Sons G176 and Pratt & Whitney Company Boiler Ratchet Drill #1 Patend April 25 1875. Has anyone seen these before?  http://s1302.beta.photobucket.com/user/old_papaw/library/

Offline OilyRascal

• Contributor
    • Facebook Profile
Re: B.F.Avery & Pratt & Whitney Co Boiler Ratchet Drill #1
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
I have one abused by the previous owner.
"FORGED IN THE USA" myself.  Be good to your tools!

Garden and Yard Rustfinder Extraordinaire!
http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=3717

Offline thetopman

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:32:04 PM »
Which one do you have?

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
 I got that model ratchet at auction this am and am searching for patent info. Wrong date on tool.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Steve Postier

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 12:10:53 AM »
I have a Pratt & Whitney Ratchet tool #1 for sale on Craigslist, posting #4040726666 if you are interested.

Vintage Ratcheting Tool
There is a button that engages the head and allows it to ratchet in either direction. There is a threaded piece on the side of the ratcheting head that unscrews to a distance of 1 3/4". There is a knurled screw at the end of the hollow handle that comes out apparently to allow you to oil or grease the device at the other end of the handle. This is a precision made tool. In good working condition.

It is 9 1/4" long. Stamped into the handle on one side: P. & W. HFD CONN. U.S.A. N0 1  I-5, Stamped into the opposite side of the handle : GINACA DEPT.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 07:36:12 AM by Papaw »

Offline rusty

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:53:01 AM »
The head design looks ammostly exactly like the one in The Jackson & Taylor catalog (1880), sold as 'Renshaw's Ratchet Drill"

I think I tried to find a patent for this one once before....:(

Edit:

Renshaw (Joseph) was in Hartford,CT, so probably working with P&W.

The patent with the date above is probably 176,683 , Apr 25, 1876, (rather than 1875)

Renshaw has a later patent, almost identical also, in 1901,  666,695

(The 1901 pat was confusing me, it made no sense for there to be a 1901 patent for something in a 1880 catalog...presumably trying to keep the patent alive by making some small change, the later patent doesn't mention the earlier one at all)

Also the earlier patent drops the middle initial - or is it father/son?? hmm
The signature line on the earlier patent is followed by [L. S.] ..what does that mean?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:37:34 PM by rusty »
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
I clicked on the link to the Pratt & Whitney Station Tool Kit.  WOW! Is it complete? Where did you get it?
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »
The head design looks ammostly exactly like the one in The Jackson & Taylor catalog (1880), sold as 'Renshaw's Ratchet Drill"

I think I tried to find a patent for this one once before....:(

Edit:

Renshaw (Joseph) was in Hartford,CT, so probably working with P&W.

The patent with the date above is probably 176,683 , Apr 25, 1876, (rather than 1875)

Renshaw has a later patent, almost identical also, in 1901,  666,695

(The 1901 pat was confusing me, it made no sense for there to be a 1901 patent for something in a 1880 catalog...presumably trying to keep the patent alive by making some small change, the later patent doesn't mention the earlier one at all)

Also the earlier patent drops the middle initial - or is it father/son?? hmm
The signature line on the earlier patent is followed by [L. S.] ..what does that mean?

L.S.  is abbreviation for Latin term that means "place of the seal."   It may mean the patentee made his mark rather than having a signature.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 08:27:09 PM »
Greetings from the rabbit hole!
I remain puzzled by this one after doing some digging around.
There were indeed two patents issued to one Joseph Renshaw of Hartford, Connecticut - one being 176683 issued April 25, 1876, and later 666695 issued January 29, 1901, the latter noted at DataMP as having been manufactured by Pratt & Whitney, the former noted as "Not known to have been produced".
It is curious, then, that this unit should show up in the November 10, 1892 issue of "The Iron Age" (pp 50), as it certainly seems to match the description in the 1876 patent document.
Coincidentally, one of these sold today on Ebay for a whopping $22.95 (incl. shipping) (https://www.ebay.com/itm/392336883947)
To further add to the confusion, an identical unit clearly stamped with a patent date of 1875 was sold on "Worthpoint" (see photos).
Occam's Razor is telling me that the April 25, 1876 patent is indeed the one that applies to this unit.
If someone else can shed any further light on this, do please let me know.
Thanks, gentlemen.

(due to size restrictions on posting, the remaining photos are in the following post)

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
more photos

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 08:57:30 PM »
Greetings from the rabbit hole!
I remain puzzled by this one after doing some digging around.
There were indeed two patents issued to one Joseph Renshaw of Hartford, Connecticut - one being 176683 issued April 25, 1876, and later 666695 issued January 29, 1901, the latter noted at DataMP as having been manufactured by Pratt & Whitney, the former noted as "Not known to have been produced".
<snip>
Occam's Razor is telling me that the April 25, 1876 patent is indeed the one that applies to this unit.
<snip>

(due to size restrictions on posting, the remaining photos are in the following post)
"Not known to have been produced" is default filler in DATAMP until replaced by the steward of that patent.  Judging from the incomplete look of the DATAMP entry for patent #176683 & the identity of the DATAMP steward. I can say that incomplete entry resulted from a "batch process" based on a project to enter "bare bones basics" for every patent in a specific patent class -- that steward does that quite a bit and has a script program to accomplish the batch entry & upload process quickly.  The batch process ads patentee name,  USPTO classification, title, application & patent dates, and  a tool category -- no image, no description, no production information.   If you gather the missing information and forward it to the DATAMP patent steward via the "Report Data Errors or Omissions" link at the bottom of the entry, it will likely result in a more fleshed out entry for the patent.  At least that is how I treat communications I receive via that link on the DATAMP entries I steward.  Most recent such communication I received resulted in extensive research on Alva Worden & John S. Lang of Ypsilanti, MI & their respective patent #s 384,451 & 415,761.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 01:01:27 AM »
I have forwarded the URL for my post above to that link, per your suggestion.
My objective is actually NOT concerning the Pratt & Whitney ratchet drill - I'm working on something else and stumbled over that one earlier today and it led me here.
Not sure if there's a way to p/m people on this site. I'm a bit averse to posting my email addy on a public forum for obvious reasons.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 07:39:17 AM »
four.cycle, if you click on the members name you want to ‘pm’, you will find a ‘pm’ link that will allow you to send your private message.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools